Air Return Vent - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 07-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Air return vent

The tech that installed the new system put in 2 new returns closest point to the system, as it was struggling to move enough air. That just happened to be in the riser of the bottom step in basement. He used 2 regular vent boxes. Problem is its the lowest point in the house and the cats fur [4 of them] seems to float down and collect there, clogging my 4" filter very quick. [$35-00] is there a standard vent cover with built in filter? the hole is about 12x3.5. seems to me even blocking the new inlets TOTALLY [never actually happen] would not be an issue, simply a return to the old scheme.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 932

Re: Air return vent

You can get vent filter material and cut your own to fit. Google it. I got some from Lowe's for my supply filters one time for a test. I don't recommend that on the supplys permanently but for return air, it's fine. As you say, worse thing happens and it still works as before, it's up to you to keep them changed frequently.

That's a poor place for an air return but perhaps it's not so bad after all since it's helping manage the cat hair problem.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 402

Our system has two returns measuring 14"x25" supplying return air to a 2.5 ton unit. How much return sq. inches did yours have prior to adding two 12x 3.5?

Air usually takes the path of the least resistance when it has a choice and this tells us the air from the riser is the preferred route with the addition of those returns.

About the lowe's filters cut to size filters. I bought that material and found it worthless compared to my old hog hair electrostatic material. I contacted that filter company and was told what i purchased was definitely not electrostatic.

EDIT: EDIT:

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 07-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,028

Conventional wisdom is 200sq in of total filter area per ton of cooling (or heating). How that is divided up depends on air circulation in the home. If a single central location works, fine. If you have areas of poor circulation then a return in that area can help.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 932

He really doesn't need a super great cut to fit filter, just something to catch the cat hair before it gets on the main filter.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 402

I'm not fully understanding his filter system. I didn't know the air from these 2 new filters went on to a main filter.
surferdude2 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 456

When I read the OP description of the problem, it sounded like the tech could not get enough return air to balance the system. So s/he decided to install two additional air boxes in the basement, in effect, using basement air to "help" get more "return air."

Not knowing the circumstances, it seems like this was done out of convenience, not efficiency. Yes, they do make "a standard vent cover with built in filter?" It is a return air filter grille, but is much larger than those registers/grilles that were installed. Again, not knowing the circumstances and layout, this probably should be installed in the conditioned area of the upstairs. Perhaps the existing return air grilles upstairs could be replaced with return air filter grilles to help filter the kitty hair.
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 22

AC unit is 5ft behind that step. Only way to add return without major repairs. The cat already destroyed the home made filter.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FWWE14aWNRM3VB

Last edited by Syncman; 07-05-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement