Adding A HVAC Return - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ken57

Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Adding A HVAC Return

I have a tri-level with a sub basement. The lower level has no HVAC return and the cold air just collects at this level. The HVAC registers for the lower level are on the ceiling. I can add a HVAC return on the partial shared wall (due to tri-level layout) between lower level and sub basement. The new HVAC return would have to cross below several basement joists then two 90s to turn and get up into a joist bay to travel towards the HVAC trunk. Once at HVAC trunk I have two choices: A) topside takeoff but would have cut a hole in the bottom of the HVAC return to cut out for the takeoff on top of the HVAC return and then repair the trunk OR B) pass over the HVAC trunk return and use two 90s into the available side of the HVAC trunk. I know each 90 impacts airflow. While I am adding this new HVAC return should I also add a HVAC return for the basement. Thoughts on what option to use.
ken57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 896

Re: Adding A HVAC Return

I'd cut the access hole and dump a 90 in the top. What's the largest size you can get in there?
surferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

All existing topside return takeoff are 6". So I can do a 6". A 7" might be snug.

I might have a another option. C) take the new return which is perpendicular to existing basement supply & return trunks over both trunk line and then use 2 90s to swing back into the return side of the furnace above the humidifier. Option C would require 2 90s but go directly into furnace vs. into an existing return trunk heading to the furnace.

Regarding the approach (A, B or C), should I add tee on this new return and add a return from the basement floor area as I pass over basement wall that has drywall on one side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken57 View Post

Regarding the approach (A, B or C), should I add tee on this new return and add a return from the basement floor area as I pass over basement wall that has drywall on one side.
I like option C better and wouldn't bother with the basement tee. Run 7" if possible, a squeeze here and there will still be better than a 6".
surferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

thanks for the help
surferdude2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement