Ac/heat Pump High Whistle Sound - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Ac/heat pump high whistle sound

I built a new house and had a AC/Heat pump (Carrier heat pump is 25hce436003) installed. After we moved in i noticed a high harmonic pitch whistle(like a dog whistle) when the ac/ heat pump is on wither it's running on ac or heat and it's all the time when the ac/heat pump is on. The weird thing is i can only hear it from our master bed, master bathroom inside the house if i go outside i can't hear it. The ac/heat pump is outside next to my master bedroom. There is two windows on that wall that are next to the ac/heat pump. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this sound?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 988

Re: Ac/heat pump high whistle sound

Does it sound like the whistling is coming from inside the house or outside?

My heat pump made a whistling sound that was due to the metal grate over the air return vents. The grates were a bit too small, and restricted the airflow, causing the whistle. When I removed the grates, it stopped. The solution was to increase the area for the return vents.
RAL238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL238 View Post
Does it sound like the whistling is coming from inside the house or outside?

My heat pump made a whistling sound that was due to the metal grate over the air return vents. The grates were a bit too small, and restricted the airflow, causing the whistle. When I removed the grates, it stopped. The solution was to increase the area for the return vents.

It's strange needless to say. After my ac/heat pump shuts off there is still air coming from my floor vents and i don't hear that harmonic sound. So i am pretty sure it coming from out side but if i got outside i don't hear it. I am starting to think it's the location they placed the ac/heat pump right next to a large window in our master bath and our master bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
It's strange needless to say. After my ac/heat pump shuts off there is still air coming from my floor vents and i don't hear that harmonic sound. So i am pretty sure it coming from out side but if i got outside i don't hear it. I am starting to think it's the location they placed the ac/heat pump right next to a large window in our master bath and our master bathroom.
It's probably the air flow, and/or the blower motor/ electronics. It probably only runs on the highest setting while the compressor is on. After it shuts off, it starts to ramp down. However, you've only given the outdoor model number. The indoor unit will also have a model number. There a few other possibilities, but that's the most likely.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

I experienced something similar it was low on refrigerant and because of that evaporator cool iced up causing low air circulation
I am not convincing you that you have same problem but call professional to test that system. You can check for ice on coil or tubings by evaporations inside and condenser outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Malywr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
It's probably the air flow, and/or the blower motor/ electronics. It probably only runs on the highest setting while the compressor is on. After it shuts off, it starts to ramp down. However, you've only given the outdoor model number. The indoor unit will also have a model number. There a few other possibilities, but that's the most likely.

Cheers!

It's a carrier comfort 95 Gas furnace 59sc5.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

I tried to post a video here. It's louder in person then in the video but you can make out if you turn up the volume.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,010

clip doesn't work.

i wonder, where is your filter located? if it's too restrictive, it may whistle when the fan is running on high speed.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
clip doesn't work.

i wonder, where is your filter located? if it's too restrictive, it may whistle when the fan is running on high speed.

I put it on you tube. Hopefully this one works.

my filter is located by my kitchen which is probably about 30 feet away and there is a wall and living room between my master bath and air return and filter.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #10

Doesn't sound like air noise.

Is your heatpump on a slab or mounted to the house with a bracket?

The vibration can be getting transferred to the house though the bracket.

Could also be getting transferred through the refrigerant lines -> if they're in direct contact with structure.

If you shut the breaker to the heatpump in heating mode but leave the power to the furnace on, does the noise go away?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #11

No it's about 2 feet away from my house on one of those plastic 6in Condenser Heat Pump Riser that's on another plastic pad not attached to the house.

I will try shutting off the heat pump breaker later when i get home.

ya i wonder if it's the refrigerant lines transferring the sound...
It's so freaking annoying!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #12

Where are your refrigerant lines run? Into a basement or crawlspace or do they go vertically up or down the exterior wall?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 70

Deleted

Last edited by supers05; 12-19-2018 at 06:56 PM.
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #14

op's furnace has a psc blower motor, i believe.

heatpump is a basic 13 or 14 seer, unlikely to have ecm condenser fan motor.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
Where are your refrigerant lines run? Into a basement or crawlspace or do they go vertically up or down the exterior wall?

Lines are in the crawl space.

I pulled the breaker to the heatpump in heating mode, heat pump shut off and no noise. I put the breaker back in and the heat pump started right up and the noise is there.

I did put in a warranty claim through the builder who sent out a tech and he confirmed the noise but didn't an answer. I know it's not the end of the world but if something can be done i would like to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement