AC Handler Leaking Water - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 585

AC handler leaking water

I have a Goodman CAPF3030B6 air handler. We bought the house in August 2018. When we used the AC we had a small amount of water on the floor around the condensate pump. We had HVAC come just to look at things to make sure the previous owners took care of it. Everything look good. HVAC guy said the drain pipe wasn't cut properly so he fixed it and cleaned the pump. We didn't get any water after that. We just turned the AC back on and we are getting water again. I tested the pump and it seems to work. I took it apart and cleaned everything. I can't see any cracks. I put a bucket under the drain pipe to see if it was the pump. When the AC was on there was a little stream of condensation water dripping into the bucket so I don't think the pipe is clogged. But the water on the floor came back so it isn't the pump.

The unit is 6 years old. What else should I be looking at to find where this water is coming from?

Two things I noticed when looking at the drain pipe. 1) it doesn't have a trap or cleaning out plug on top (which I'm not sure if they all should or not) and 2) there is another hole right next to the drain pipe going into the coil housing that isn't block. I can see right into the housing from the outside. I assume that shouldn't be like that.
Attached Thumbnails
AC handler leaking water-20190705_165834.jpg   AC handler leaking water-20190705_170311.jpg  
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,038

Re: AC handler leaking water

There should be 2 drain connections from the cooling coil. One is slightly higher than the other and is a overflow or secondary drain which is used on horizontal units in attics.

Otherwise it should be plugged. You may be able to find some 3/4" plastic pipe fittings at HDepot. Nipple and cap or a plug if they have.

Remove the other connection and see if it is partly plugged. Even though it is draining slowly it may be overflowing if the coil is not sloped forward etc. Point is check it.

You do not need a trap. Some people use them for attic units as they don't want a bit of cold air leaking out the drain or warm air getting sucked in.

Lots of people don't use them as they plug and require maintenance. All depends on the installer and his idea of what to do.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 628

I take it your second picture has been rotated 90 degrees(?) Either that, or your upflow/downflow air handler has been installed horizontally! Assuming that's not the case, it looks like the secondary drain is connected but the primary is not. That would be a recipe for leaking.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #4

I will try to take off the drain pipe. It should just be a threaded PVC piece correct? I tried by hand but it was stuck.

Yeah sorry I'm not sure why the picture rotated. The one with the pipe is just slightly lower than the open hole. I'm guessing the primary should be slightly lower so it looks like it is in correctly. They just never plugged the secondary.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

It is threaded in and is removable.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
It is threaded in and is removable.
So the threaded piece going into the pan is glued to the pipe. How would I get this out? I can turn it because it is glued to the pipe. I can move the pipe because it is against the unit.

And figured I would post a larger view of the entire drain pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
AC handler leaking water-20190706_112723.jpg   AC handler leaking water-20190706_112741.jpg  
Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

I don't use ridgid pipe for that reason.

It looks neater but is really difficult to work with later.

I would chop it out and get a 3/4" elbow with a barbed fitting on the end. Then use clear plastic drain hose AND put a elbow where it turns down so the hose does not kink.

There are barbed elbows available.

Great part is you can see the water draining and just pull the hose off to clean out the drain port later.

If there is enough room to spin the elbow and clear the pipe on the right you could chop it and leave a small stub. Then chop the horizontal pipe and get a coupling and reconnect it.

Use the McGyver method and wrap the joint tightly with elect tape as it is under no pressure.

DIY union. Then you can remove the tape and uncouple and clean it later. I would rather just use clear plastic hose. HDepot should have all you need.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 48

Its a goodman, the drain pan is probably melted.
HatchetHvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I don't use ridgid pipe for that reason.

It looks neater but is really difficult to work with later.

I would chop it out and get a 3/4" elbow with a barbed fitting on the end. Then use clear plastic drain hose AND put a elbow where it turns down so the hose does not kink.

There are barbed elbows available.

Great part is you can see the water draining and just pull the hose off to clean out the drain port later.

If there is enough room to spin the elbow and clear the pipe on the right you could chop it and leave a small stub. Then chop the horizontal pipe and get a coupling and reconnect it.

Use the McGyver method and wrap the joint tightly with elect tape as it is under no pressure.

DIY union. Then you can remove the tape and uncouple and clean it later. I would rather just use clear plastic hose. HDepot should have all you need.
I like this idea. It seems odd to make something like this semi permanent. I can obviously get it out but I'll have to cut off the existing pipe. I should be able to easily remove it for cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetHvac View Post
Yeah I'm actually worried that it is cracked somewhere. How much of a pain is replacing the pan?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetHvac View Post
Is that a joke or are they having problems?

I have not heard of any.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #11

How did you measure the pan? I can't see the backside very well because of the coil unit but it looks like there is a little water on that side but there isn't water in the front. Which would mean it is slopping front to back and causing the leaking.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Those coils have slope built into them and the furnace manufacturers say the furnace can be level and everything should drain and work OK.

However I always slope the furnace back to front 1/2" so the water drains from the burner secondary coil better.

You should be able to take a pry bar and lift the back of the furnace and put some shims in. If it is level it should be OK. If it is 1/2" backwards from front to back then that is a problem.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #13

I've been running the AC for about an hour now. I keep checking to see if what is building up in the drain pan. It looks like everything is flowing towards the drain hole. No build up at all. I don't think this water is coming from the drain pan or the drain pipe.

When I open the panel to look at the coil, there is about a 1.5 inch gap between the drain pan and the case. I can see underneath the drain pan. Not sure what that unit is called underneath the drain pan but I can see frost building up around the bottom of that casing. What is that?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #14

I can't seem to edit my post.

That part I'm talking about is behind the draft blower. When I open that panel I can see the blower but there is another panel behind the blower. What I'm talking about is behind that panel. I see frost in that area. The coils aren't frosting up either. I can see the insulation wet on the bottom when I open the lower panel that is on the ground but the top isn't wet. So is it coming from the bottom?

I'm just not really sure where this water is coming from.

Edit: ok not sure why I can edit this post but not the one before. Anyway, I found out that part is the heat exchanger for the furnace. Should that have some frost on it when the AC is running?

Last edited by h22lude; 07-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Not sure what you are talking about.

The heat exchanger is below the AC coil and the air flows upward thru the coil. The heat exchanger cannot get cold enough to freeze or cold at all.

Try post some pics.

It is possible your coil is frosting from being dirty/poor ariflow or low on freon. Then that frost will melt in the off cycle and could run down inside the furnace.

It is rare but sometimes the refrigerant suction line ( bigger one ) sweats where it goes into the plenum and can drip down. I have had to add some foam insulation like on the line to the bare sweating area and zip tie it on.

Best to get a tech to find out what is icing and why.
Advertisement