AC: Is This Exhaust Supposed To Be There? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 09-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

AC: is this exhaust supposed to be there?

I recently found several large leaks in my hvac system. One between intake duct and blower, and 2 around air handler and heater. No leaks any more, get more air, but now getting attic dust through registers. Typically at beginning for first 10-15s and then after compressor turns off. I do think itís also mixed throughout the run, but not sure. Either way, getting a lot of attic dust in the house.
I noticed a lot of air running out of the what seems like overflow exhaust (see picture, red circle). Is it supposed to?
When AC turns on, initially a lot of air gets sucked in through there, and I believe when compressor turns off as well, so it is a prime suspect. I checked all ductwork, and havenít found anything. Also, dusty air is coming through all registers, not just one place.
Is this exhaust supposed to have a valve on it?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
AC: is this exhaust supposed to be there?-2830f72b-eadc-4728-8371-5134211084f1.jpeg  
Myhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 716

Re: AC: is this exhaust supposed to be there?

That’s your primary drain line. Yes it’s supposed to be there to allow condensate drainage.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

Are you talking about the two pipes below or specifically the open one pointing up? The two below go outside of the house and bottom one drains ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 48

It's supposed to be open - functions as a air vent.

Myhvac likes this.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 09-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user_12345a For This Useful Post:
Myhvac (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #5

Ok, makes sense. Should it have a valve on it though? Seems it’s letting a lot of attic air in or something else in this setup is wrong

Last edited by Myhvac; 09-01-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #6

No.

It doesn't let attic air into anything but the pipe downstream of the trap after water finishes draining.

The water in the trap prevents air from being sucked from the drain line/vent into the air handler.
Myhvac likes this.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Myhvac (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #7

This is helpful, thanks.
One more question then. The pipe on the left comes straight out. There is no dip to hold the water/condensation and prevent unneeded airflow. It explains I think why there is so much air coming out from the opening, but only a little water is coming on the side of the house.
Should there be a ďdipĒ like in the picture?
Old 09-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

i didn't notice that you have a furnace, not an air handler and the drain is under positive pressure.

couldn't tell there's no trap for the angle the pic was taken from.

A trap can be added to prevent loss of supply air. It's optional in your case.
Myhvac likes this.
Myhvac (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

I called it air handler, but I think this is heat exchanger. And you are right, the heater is on the right side of it.
If I build a trap, is it a good assumption that it wonít hurt anything?
I already know that air gets tremendously pulled in through that pipe when AC starts, until blower really pushes air through then itís coming out there like crazy
I guess thatís one question.
The other is, why is blower sucking in air from everywhere including that pipe, when I take is closer and wide open

Additionally, when compressor stops, air gets pulled in through that pipe again, even though the blower is still working for another 1-2mins
Old 09-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #10

The more I look at this, the more I’m certain this is messed up. There is no trap between exhaust and condensate pan. Vent is nit capped. Furthermore, the emergency drain goes to water pan and outside too, no trap. So essentially “contaminated air” is drawn in through both of these pipes. Brilliant
Old 09-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #11

When you have a furnace, supply air is blown out through the drain when there is no trap, it doesn't draw in air.

Adding a trap won't hurt anything if you do it properly.

However, it is an additional maintenance item, as it can get clogged and cause water to drain out the emergency connection.

You lose a little air without the trap when the unit is in the attic.
Myhvac likes this.
Myhvac (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,018

Some furnaces have an internal trap. What brand and model furnace do you have?
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sktn77a For This Useful Post:
Myhvac (09-03-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
Some furnaces have an internal trap. What brand and model furnace do you have?
We're talking about the drain on the cooling coil, not condensate for heating.

All condensing furnaces have a trap - totally different.
Myhvac (09-03-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 618

Since there is no trap, that vent isn't serving any purpose. You can cap it or cover it with duct tape if you want to. I would recommend against making a trap if that attic gets below freezing in the winter.
Myhvac likes this.
bfrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrabel For This Useful Post:
Myhvac (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #15

Thanks all. The model is GMP*-72, so Goodman.
Turns out there is a trap but made with angled pipe connectors, not standard (see left on the pic, it goes down and then up and goes out, but at a lower level than evaporator. So I guess I shouldn't cap that vent then? Air gets drawn in here for the first i'd say 5 seconds when blower turns on. After that it's blowing out.
While I was working on sealing evaporator, I vacuumed inside of plenum. What's odd to me is that plenum has that yellow fiberboard insulation, but on the inside ?!?!
Why would insulation be inside...anyways, I'm wondering if I disturbed it, and considering I plugged two rather large leaks, there is probably more air going out, so maybe that's where the dust is coming from?
I found some register filters, so I'm gonna put those in and see if they trap anything and improve air. Would be a good temp solution to this problem, especially since this weekend it's gonna be 105+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ac leak , attic dust