Wiring Home Security Camera - Home Automation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Automation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,922

wiring home security camera

It may help with the house sale if I prewire the house for outside security cameras. And it looks like wired cameras would be cheaper. Or at least power cables for the cameras.

But I know nothing about using or installing them. Example, is there a universal power/data line? Is it cat cable? I'm imagining home run cable to the camera locations for power and possibly data, then the cables would end in the basement power hub that would wifi the data to a computer. Do all the brands work about this way?

Also, can these cameras locate near or under outside flood lights, or is the flood light too bright?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 918

Re: wiring home security camera

I don't think a wired system is really needed anymore , not with the advances they have made in wireless , of course this is only my opinion , but i just installed a wireless and glad i did over wired , and it's a cctv system to boot, here's a link to the product i did.

https://www.xmarto.com/wireless-security-system.html
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Wireless would make life easier but don't they cost a lot more, and wouldn't they need battery changes? I was wondering if, at least, I can prewire for power. I thought all these different brands would use a common power cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
HDS

Rewards Points: 290

Look up power over ethernet (POE) systems. It is basically a network cable line that also transmits electricity to power the camera in addition to data. Wireless is nice, but you also have to change out batteries, etc...
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDS For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,609

Changing batteries if used is a major downer. Power outlets outside have to be GFIC and are always subject to quirks. They can also be unplugged.

If I were to do anything on spec it would a POE cat 5/6 cable pulled to the proper locations. All low voltage and no license required.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
adam

Rewards Points: 134

Power over ethernet is the way to go with a wired system. Also, in your central location, allot enough space to house the equipment and get to all sides of it including the power outlets. Some don't think about this and you end with a "rat's nest of wiring," things hanging by their power cords, etc. Neatness counts :-)
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adamz For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Wireless would make life easier but don't they cost a lot more, and wouldn't they need battery changes? I was wondering if, at least, I can prewire for power. I thought all these different brands would use a common power cable.

When they say wireless it doesn't mean battery , each camera needs to plug into an outlet for power , but everything after that is automatic transmission and hook up to your PC or TV if you like , no cables like POE.
Dave Sal likes this.
carpdad (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #8

Thanks canarywood1 for realizing how dumb I was about this. Thanks all for the ideas.

Corbyt, I had fairly good history with gfci outdoor outlets. What problems did you find? Does this outlet have to have great big outlet cover?

Now I'm also realizing camera is usually in one location, front door. So any kind of power source shouldn't need to much work. Also using ethernet cable would mean I need more money for taking the house voltage to ethernet. Seems like 120v to the camera location is most simple.

Last edited by carpdad; 05-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #9

The power cable is not very big , it can easily be run quite a distance to the indoors , and not have to be plugged into an outdoor receptacle , in fact they sell cables in various lengths as long as 30 ft. that just plug into one another no splicing needed , VERY easy to set up.
carpdad (05-25-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post

Corbyt, I had fairly good history with gfci outdoor outlets. What problems did you find? Does this outlet have to have great big outlet cover?

No specif problems. They tend to die sooner than inside units.

A POE system has the power converter in or near the base unit and utilizes a couple of the spare cat5 wires to send DC voltage to the cameras. One power supply supplies all the cameras connected to the unit. I've seen 4, 8 and 12 channel systems.

From you post I thought you wanted pre-wire only. The termination point would use a LV box or standard single gang with a blank cover for now. A e-plug and proper plate would be added by the final installer to match the camera cable.

When we built here we had all doors and windows prewired for a security system. It was a couple of years before we bought the alarm controller and system.

You can cover front and back doors only with one of those nest doorbells. While helpful they are not a real security system. A real system would let you view the entire exterior of your home and does take some planning.

Last edited by Colbyt; 05-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 04:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
I don't think a wired system is really needed anymore , not with the advances they have made in wireless , of course this is only my opinion , but i just installed a wireless and glad i did over wired , and it's a cctv system to boot, here's a link to the product i did.

https://www.xmarto.com/wireless-security-system.html
Same in our case, previously mentioned somewhere in this forum I believe about the blink cameras we have at home (now owned by Amazon I think). They're straightforward in installation, and while they are battery-operated, we've had them for 18 months and they're still doing okay - although my friends have reported difference in performance, think it's based on the frequency and length of recordings. Can withstand weather too. Here's a review of the particular model we have in case you decide to go the wireless route: https://www.meccanohome.com/best-out...amera/#BlinkXT
jecapereca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jecapereca For This Useful Post:
carpdad (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Blink looks very attractive. It is also the smallest, least intrusive I've seen. Also 2 yrs on batteries seem very attractive feature. Thanks for the direction.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 414

Wireless is OK but POE is the better way to go. No power bricks for the cameras and better data speed and security. Especially good for external cams where there is no AC power handy. Get a POE switch with as many ports as you want cameras and connect it to your router with a LAN cable.
Advertisement