WiFi Extender - Home Automation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Automation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 01-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 120

WiFi Extender

I have a router from my cable company (technicolor TC8717T) in one corner of my house. We just bought our first smart tv and of course it is on the other side of the house. We are struggling to get a wifi signal at the tv so both samsung (tv people) and Time Warner (cable people) recommend a wifi extender of some sort.

Once upon a time I purchased a $25 Coredy wifi extender to improve the signal in the basement and I was not impressed.

Doing research today I see that there are extenders that run over the electrical wiring in the house. I would like to give one or two of these a try.

My questions:

1. presumably the sending unit can be plugged into one circuit and and the receiving unit can be plugged into a different circuit?

2. will one of these produce a strong enough signal to work well streaming netflix on the smart tv?

3. I have read that you need to set up security (a password?) at the receiving unit in order to prevent the whole neighborhood from being on your network. Any experience with this?

4. My plan would be to put one receiver near my tv and another in the basement where my kids hangout. Any concern with that?

5. Any recommendation on what brand/model will work well?

Thanks
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,258

Re: WiFi Extender

I used this much less hassle. Your TV will need an Ethernet adapter.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/
Johnnyb69 likes this.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,122

Or just run an Ethernet cable. Better throughput and you don't compete with other WiFi devices for bandwidth.
TinyFargo likes this.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,926

Who is you ISP?

If it is Xfinity, I would dump the cable company router and replace it with your own.

Xfinity router/modems that customers are leasing monthly double as public accessible wifi hot-spots.

Purchase your own cable modem and wireless router and then install a wifi extender. It is advisable that the router and extender be of the same manufacturer.

Using the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) function on the router and extender, security will automatically be setup on the extender.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Klutz Extrodinaire

Rewards Points: 126

If you can get a hard line Ethernet close but just not all the way to your TV, you might also consider a WiFi mesh network with a hardwired back plane.
TinyFargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
3. I have read that you need to set up security (a password?) at the receiving unit in order to prevent the whole neighborhood from being on your network. Any experience with this?
The router already has a default login. That is a user name & password. It also has a default wifi password. Obviously, you didn't change either one of them or even use them. You have to give the TV the password. You probably don't need an extender. Login to the web interface of the router from one of your computers. Take it from there.

http://setuprouter.com/router/techni...717t/login.htm
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
Collector of tools

Thanks for all the responses.

Ghostmaker - a wifi extender that uses the electrical wiring is exactly what I am proposing. Are both your sender and your receiver unit on the same circuit or on different circuits? The support material and Q and A that I have read seem to be written by people who dont know what a "circuit" is.

CaptTom - running an ethernet cable is not impossible but would be a major PITA. My basement is finished with no access to the ceiling. One story home so i could go up into the attic and back down but the effected walls walls are insulated and I would rather not disturb that, the attic has blown in insulation covering the trusses so moving around is hard, the TV is above the fireplace so I would need to avoid the hot parts, etc.

Drachenfire - my internet is provided by Time Warner Cable (Now Spectrum I think). I have wondered whether replacing their modem/router with my own would make sense.

TinyFargo - What's a "WiFi mesh network with a hardwired back plane?"

Guap0 - I do indeed have a username and PW for my router. The problem with the smart tv is that it sometimes finds my wifi network and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it finds my neighbor's and sometimes it doesnt. When it finds mine, it doesnt accept my username and PW as being authentic. The cable company help line says that may be because it cant hold the wifi signal long enough to process the username and PW. FWIW I did confirm that I am using the correct username and PW.

I think my plan continues to be to try one of those extenders that run through the electrical wiring. Can anyone confirm that having the sender and receiver on different circuits is ok? I would think so because all the hot wires go to the same place in the panel, same with the neutral and ground. Thanks again
Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreibdave View Post
Can anyone confirm that having the sender and receiver on different circuits is ok? I would think so because all the hot wires go to the same place in the panel, same with the neutral and ground. Thanks again
They will work on different circuits.
schreibdave (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
Guapo

Quote:
When it finds mine, it doesnt accept my username and PW as being authentic.
That's because you are using the wrong password. The wifi password is not the same as the web interface password. The wifi password should be written on the side of the router. If it isn't login it to the web interface & look at the wireless settings.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Collector of tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
That's because you are using the wrong password. The wifi password is not the same as the web interface password. The wifi password should be written on the side of the router. If it isn't login it to the web interface & look at the wireless settings.
Unfortunately what you are describing is over my head. However when I set the TV up on Dec 26(?) it showed me a list of available networks. I chose mine (info removed). I then entered my PW - [info removed]. It worked for about a week - I have the amazon prime movie receipts for the movies we watched.

To my knowledge, nothing changed. However it started sometimes finding my wifi and sometimes not. Same with my neighbors. When it finds mine and I enter the PW it says "failed." I called the cable company and confirmed that my PW is correct.

Cable company says that tv is too far from router. I called Samsung (TV) and they said the same thing. Maybe what I will do is cob together 50 ft of cable and move the router to where the tv is. If it still cant pick up the signal, I will know that there's something more than a problem with the signal.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 488

I just went through this a few months ago with my detached 2 car man cave that I built . I had every detail worked out EXCEPT I forgot about internet/wifi to the garage So I started researching the alternatives and my head exploded as I am not a computer geek . I ended up going to the local Best Buy and found someone that REALLY new what he was doing . He said to purchase a Netgear Powerline Wifi unit part # PLW1000 . He asked me one specific question is the garage on the same circuit as the house ? I stated yes the garage is fed electric power via the home circuit breaker box .

Now my man cave is about 80 ' from the house and where I have my computer and flat screen TV is at the back of the garage so aprox. 100 ' away ! The Netgear like most units has two pieces , one piece plugs into an outlet that has to be close to the router/modem . A line goes from the unit to the modem . The receiver plugs into an outlet in the garage and it becomes an extension of the homes wifi router . I had it up and running in 5 minutes . And my man cave has metal siding and a metal roof but this setup works perfect . I can stream TV to watch sports and be on my laptop computer at the same time with no issues . My cellphone is with Google FI so it looks for a wifi signal first then LTE if no wifi is available , the phone works just fine in the garage . I'm sure there are other brands out there but this one has been working for me since September with zero issues .
Johnnyb69 likes this.

Last edited by Porsche986S; 01-07-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 36

I had the same problem and bought an ASUS Whole Home Dual-Band AiMesh Router (AC1900) for Mesh Wifi System (Up to 1900 Mbps). I had cable and was provided with their cable modem/WiFi router so I had the cable company turnoff the WiFi on their box because it was causing me problems.
Johnnyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
Guapo

Quote:
Unfortunately what you are describing is over my head. However when I set the TV up on Dec 26(?) it showed me a list of available networks. I chose mine (it's name is my last name). I then entered my PW - which is a combo of my children's names. It worked for about a week
I know that it's over your head but try to follow me. I'll make it simple. It's basic networking. There should be a label on the router. On that label you should see the router password & the wifi password. They are not the same. Look at it & tell me what you see.

The TV needs an IP address. The router has 253 of them. If the TV gives the router the password, the router will give the TV one of the IP addresses & everyone will live happily ever after.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
adam

Rewards Points: 138

http://www.homeplug.org/explore-homeplug/faq-consumers/

The above will answer many questions including that it can handle Netflix and work on different circuits. The parameter to determine if Netflix should work is called "bandwidth," the higher the better. Also, there is something about Security in the list of FAQ.

Last edited by adamz; 01-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #15
Guapo

Adamz, it's nice that you suggested MAC filtering to secure his wifi but please note that even he can't connect wirelessly & he owns the network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement