New Router, Or Wifi Extender? - Home Automation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Automation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 11-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

New Router, or Wifi Extender?

Our router is the one provided to us by our ISP, Spectrum. We keep it in the living room and it works totally fine throughout the first floor and most of the second floor of our home. However, our master bedroom puts us at the farthest distance from it, and we frequently have wifi issues while laying in bed, across a variety of devices.

My question is would an aftermarket, expensive router fix this problem, or would a wifi extender really be the way to go? Also, I don't know what all these terms mean. Some advertise "Mulit-Operations Mode" or "Gigbit port". All we use the wifi for is a few Roku devices, three laptops, our phones, nest thermostats and smoke detector, and a ring doorbell.
Schmidt1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 884

Re: New Router, or Wifi Extender?

I, likewise have a modem/router provided by Winstream, and it works fine in the near rooms, but not in the distant ones. I already had a Netgear Nighthawk triple band router, so I just tandem connected it to the WIndstream router and I have full coverage throughout the house and all the way to the barn which is quite a distance from the units. It may be one way to go if you can locate an inexpensive router online or at a garage sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 84

I have a pricey router and it only does as good as what's it's closest to. The devices farthest away are either slower at times or get disconnected altogether.
A wifi extender would be the way to go.

This one was recommended to me: Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO
Deja-vue likes this.
Roxygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 772

The Ubiquiti stuff works well, but it's a bear to set up. OP probably just needs a commercial range extender or repeater. Maybe try one of the mesh setups?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
adam

Rewards Points: 152

Try a WiFi Extender.

Make sure it's dual band and is AC capable to support the latest, fastest wireless. It should support WEP and WPA/WPA2 protocols for security (i.e. password capable) if you choose to do so.

I recommend the type that plugs directly into a wall outlet. That way you can perhaps place it in a hallway at the top of your 2nd story steps. The placement of the extender should be that it can do two things: 1. Connect wireless-ly to your router and 2. Extend the signal to weak areas of your home.

This one or a similar one would suffice: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi...s%2C139&sr=1-3

A gigaport port is a high speed wired port. Not relevant in your issue. The multimode can mean different things, but one definition is "a device that can be a router or a Wifi access point," also not too relevant.

Last edited by adamz; 11-19-2019 at 04:03 PM.
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 569

The Ubiquity is hands down the best wireless extender available in the market.
I installed a couple of hundred of them, using 4 of them in a 55.000 Sq ft Where houses and a lot of Beauty Salons.
The first one I installed was back in 2013, still works perfectly.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt1989 View Post
Our router is the one provided to us by our ISP, Spectrum. We keep it in the living room and it works totally fine throughout the first floor and most of the second floor of our home. However, our master bedroom puts us at the farthest distance from it, and we frequently have wifi issues while laying in bed, across a variety of devices.

My question is would an aftermarket, expensive router fix this problem, or would a wifi extender really be the way to go? Also, I don't know what all these terms mean. Some advertise "Mulit-Operations Mode" or "Gigbit port". All we use the wifi for is a few Roku devices, three laptops, our phones, nest thermostats and smoke detector, and a ring doorbell.
The router you have is a Modem/Wireless Router. Assuming of course that your ISP is connected to your house via cable or DSL. (Most likely cable.)

The Modem helps your router to talk to the ISP and vice verse.

The Router allows your devices to talk to each other and to your ISP. Either by cable through the ports (usually 4 of them) or wirelessly (limited by your routers capabilities)

Using Cat6e or faster cable, you can have a much more stable and faster connections between devices and the router than you would on wireless.

Wireless allows the convenience of picking up your device and walking between rooms, outdoors, etc and still be able to maintain a signal.

There are different types of wireless connections, the current standard is 802.11AC which is also the fastest.

Here is a good article on the different types of wireless connections as well as MIMO and MUMIMO. You can also view more articles on how to improve your home network by clicking on this: https://www.lifewire.com/learn-how-i...etwork-4102756

Remember, you can only go as fast as the slowest link so, make sure that the your side of the router is as updated as possible and correctly set-up.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 772

Based on the OP's layout, hard wiring would be a hassle compared to just plugging in a good range extender in the room below the master.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Based on the OP's layout, hard wiring would be a hassle compared to just plugging in a good range extender in the room below the master.
Very true. Or just getting a better router. Or even a Mesh Router. Just depends on the budget.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Or just getting a better router
Like I said in my post, a better router is not the answer. Doesn't help at all with distance.
For that matter, an inexpensive plug in wifi extender doesn't do too much better.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
Naildriver

Quote:
a better router is not the answer.
How far is your furthest room? My "better" router takes my signal a little over 500' to my shop. What have you shopped for as far as "better" routers go? Look into Netgear Nighthawk, triple band router. Not too expensive for the excellent job it does.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

All my stuff is in the basement near the front of the house. It's the only place I can put everything and it's where all the cable stuff is. One computer is in a back bedroom and I have a camera at the back of the house, outside. These are the two that are the farthest and give me the problems.
Most of the time it's okay, but every now and then give me a problem.
Maybe I'll update eventually or get an extender.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
Naildriver

I would consider relocating the router on the main floor or to a more central location by running Cat5 cabling from all your "stuff". It doesn't care where it is located, but all your periphery cares where the router's antennas are located.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

Okay, thanks! I'll look into that. I actually have a hole in my living room floor that we had to make years ago when we first got cable, in order to run the cable upstairs. I could pull it up thru there.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 16

Okay all, we went with a relatively expensive wifi extender, but couldn't get it to set up properly, and decided to go with a mesh setup instead. They haven't come in yet, but I now have a new question. With the mesh setup, I understand it makes out modem/router just a modem. Would buying a better modem to run the mesh system off of be a the right move for better speed throughout the house?
Schmidt1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement