Wood Privacy Fence Using T-post - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oso954

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 944

Wood privacy fence using t-post

As the title suggests, I want to build a rather small section of wood privacy fence. 8' wide x about 15' long. The ground is extremely Ricky and hard with lots of trees, so likely root issues as well. I can fairly easily drive t-posts in the ground, but have no desire to try to dig and set wood or metal posts.

My thought is to drive the t-posts, then get some chain link fence posts and set them over the t-post then clamp 2x4 stringers to the chain link posts and hang the wood fence as usual.

Any reason this is a bad idea?
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Wood privacy fence using t-post

How deep is the frost line there? I understand that you don't want to dig but a 1 man auger might help.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
As the title suggests, I want to build a rather small section of wood privacy fence. 8' wide x about 15' long. The ground is extremely Ricky and hard with lots of trees, so likely root issues as well. I can fairly easily drive t-posts in the ground, but have no desire to try to dig and set wood or metal posts.

My thought is to drive the t-posts, then get some chain link fence posts and set them over the t-post then clamp 2x4 stringers to the chain link posts and hang the wood fence as usual.

Any reason this is a bad idea?
An older brother built a real nice fence with the same concept but rather than metal chain link post he discovered there is a PVC pipe that is a snug fit over the T posts. He capped the top so it would look at least 2nd class even though he fenced with cattle panels because it was just to keep the digging dog from an area. I don't recall the pipe size but it probably doesn't matter much because I suspect T post sizes vary more then PVC pipe dimensions. I do recall his being a real snug fit.

For safety, I recommend doing the ONE CALL even though it's just fence posts.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,989

How tall?

The real metal T-posts, in the longer length , sold at the farm stores might work for one no more than 5' tall if done on a 6' spacing. Skip the metal sleeve and attach directly to the t-post. Then simply box it in.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

The chain link posts are unnecessary cost and add unnecessary weight to the fence. If not secured to the t posts, they will be loose and allow movement.

If you are just looking to attach wood to T posts, Id look at something like this.
https://afence.com/store/T-POST-LINE-WOOD-ADP.html
Colbyt likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Colbyt (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
The chain link posts are unnecessary cost and add unnecessary weight to the fence. If not secured to the t posts, they will be loose and allow movement.

If you are just looking to attach wood to T posts, I’d look at something like this.
https://afence.com/store/T-POST-LINE-WOOD-ADP.html
That should do exactly what I need. Thanks!

To answer the other questions.....

I believe frost is 24". I'm not at all worried about heaving or anything. Just building a small fence against a very small cabin at the lake on a primitive site. I have no running water, electricity, etc at this point. The only purpose is to somewhat protect a generator, keep barrels of water, store a few items from looking cluttered and some privacy for a shower.

Dig safe....understood, but nothing here to locate.

On the south side posts are 6' spaced. Have only set one post on east side and I'll likely slave then the same.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement