Window Well Question/advice - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Window well question/advice

Hi all,

Wanted to ask the forum if the attached picture looks like a decent job of a window well install? Just had it done today as part as a landscaping project. I'm not familiar with this so wanted to double check.

Second, what type of window well covers would suffice for these? I have plastic ones right now, but want to get a better version of them without breaking the bank. Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Window well question/advice-image_1460201738547.jpg  
Jason7613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,546

Re: Window well question/advice

Take out some of the dirt and gravel to well below the the bottom of the window ledge. The whole purpose of the window well is to keep your entire window from being buried in dirt and eventually grass. It will prevent the window from rotting out due to being constantly wet and unable to dry quickly
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
Jason7613 (04-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Take out some of the dirt and gravel to well below the the bottom of the window ledge. The whole purpose of the window well is to keep your entire window from being buried in dirt and eventually grass. It will prevent the window from rotting out due to being constantly wet and unable to dry quickly
Thanks for the quick reply. How far down should the gravel be below the window roughly? Need to get some covers as well so will be looking into them to prevent any water build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

Looks more like someone used landscape curbing instead of a real window well.
Here's install guide of how it should have been done and some pictures of what it should have looked like.
http://www.proconstructionguide.com/...a-window-well/
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks more like someone used landscape curbing instead of a real window well.
Here's install guide of how it should have been done and some pictures of what it should have looked like.
http://www.proconstructionguide.com/...a-window-well/

Thanks for the link. The wells he used looked just like the ones you referenced so I am assuming it was just poor installation.. I'll speak to the landscaper when he is back Monday.

In terms of how I can make this 'better', I can follow the advice above and dig some rocks/gravel out, and I am assuming I could still install covers on this, correct?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 30

That looks like it will do the opposite of a window well and provide a nice easy path for water to enter the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmathews For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,912

He's manage to build a pond, not a drainage area.
It needs to be removed and done right.
How would it ever drain with just what looks like the soil he dug out as back fill?
Should have been filled with stone.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Sorry to bump the thread, but wanted to ask one other question related to this. So the landscaper came back, took the dirt out of the window well and filled with gravel rocks. It's now filled up to approx 3-4in below the window with those rocks. I have three questions as I am clueless with this stuff..

1. Is that sufficient space between the top of the rocks and the top of the window well? (Approx 3-4 in)

2. The top of the window well is basically level with the ground.. He says that it's a correct way to install them. Thoughts?

3. If it is correct, does anyone have any recommendations on window well covers for these? I have cheap ones from Home Depot and they are plastic (cracking etc..). Going off of that- do I need window well covers with this set up?

Appreciate the help/advice
Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Sorry to bump again, wanted to add a picture to show the adjustment. Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Window well question/advice-image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement