Window Well For Crawl Space Entrance? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 61

Window Well for Crawl Space Entrance?

I need to regrade adjacent to a seldom-used entrance to a crawl space. It seems a window well is really the only way to maintain access while increasing the grade?
Attached Thumbnails
Window Well for Crawl Space Entrance?-img_2883.jpg   Window Well for Crawl Space Entrance?-img_2882.jpg  
gnikyerffej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,732

Are there other places toaccess the crawlspace ? A window well would seem to be the easiest way to enable a grade change but might require a contortionist to egress . That gives me the willies just thinking about it .

I would also suggest making some screen sashes to replace the plywood . Crawlspaces should be vented .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd57chevy View Post
Are there other places toaccess the crawlspace ? A window well would seem to be the easiest way to enable a grade change but might require a contortionist to egress . That gives me the willies just thinking about it .

I would also suggest making some screen sashes to replace the plywood . Crawlspaces should be vented .
There are unfortunately no other points of ingress -- the other areas have screen sashes, as rightly point out are a good practice.

My thought is that the window well should be sufficient to take a peak from time to time. If there's something that merits repair, I can always dig out the well.
gnikyerffej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,732

Not meaning to pry , but my 1st house had a crawl space ( they're not as common here in Iowa) . I made removable screens to use spring through autumn . Those openings were the access openings .
Anyway , I eventually made an access door through the floor . Made life MUCH easier when I replaced all the plumbing . Not sure if you could find an appropriate place to do something like that or not .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 862

What dd57chevy said. If you have something like an interior closet or utility room and wouldn't mind installing a hatch, that will make your life a lot easier down the road. A central location that would minimize the crawling distance to your plumbing and utilities would be best.

Murphy's Law being what it is, it pretty much guarantees the thing you need to access will be at the farthest point away from your crawlspace entry*.

*I just finished three days of low crawling under my house to spread 6-mil vapor barrier. If you're looking to learn to swear like a sailor, wrestling 10' x 20' sheets of stiff plastic into position in a 14" crawlspace around random piers is a great way to do this.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement