Will I Risk Freezing My Grey Water Drainage Pipe? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?

I built a grey water drainage system for my (washing machine, dishwasher and kitchen sink) using two 55 gallon plastic barrels . I ran 16ft of 1 1/2 pipe @ a 1/2 bubble down grade from under my foundation at 15 inches deep below grade to the top of the first barrel which lays on its side. The two barrels are connected together with a short piece of 3" pipe about 5-6 inches from the top of the barrel and the second barrel has an outlet also 5-6 inches from the top of the barrel which runs 1/2 bubble downgrade through 50 ft 3" pipe to daylight.

my inlet 1 1/2 pipe that comes in from the top of the first barrel extends into the barrel and remains below the water level in the barrel (below the 3" pipe that connects the two barrels together by several inches)

My Concerns:

1. Since I only buried the 1 1/2 line to the first barrel 15 inches below grade I'm concerned the line will freeze if it's not able to drain completely. Being that the inlet line into the barrel is below water and below the barrels 3" outlet I feel like it may not drain correctly and could possibly freeze on me. I am located in north central Missouri.

The guys helping me do the job told me it will be fine because of hydrolic pressure, it should drain... but I need to make sure since right now I can easily uncover the 1 1/2 inlet pipe and cut it shorter so it deposits water slightly above the 3" outlet pipes.

also I should mention the end of the 3"outlet pipe at daylight is several feet below grade of the barrels.

This will all be covered up as soon as the guys return, which I think will be Monday 9/9/19 or Tues 9/10/19 so I would really appreciate a fast response very much

I'll include some pics to better help visualize what I have going on. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_173452-copy-.jpg   Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_173534-copy-.jpg   Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_182514-copy-.jpg   Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_184242-copy-.jpg   Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_184245-copy-.jpg  

Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?-20190904_184259-copy-.jpg  
survivor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,993

Re: Will I risk freezing my grey water drainage pipe?

Missouri has 4 temperature zones https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...ting-zones.htm and where you are may answer your question.

For something to freeze 15" below grade it has to stay cold for more than a few days. The problem is you won't be using the water when it it is cold

or are you just saving the load on your septic drain field?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

I am in Zone 5

You mentioned "The problem is you won't be using the water when it it is cold"

I will be using it when its cold since like I mentioned this system is for my dishwasher, washing machine and kitchen sink which is used year round.

And yes part of the reason of this system is to save the load on my septic drain field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,952

USDA planting zones have at best, only a rough correlation with the frost line depth used for construction. It's far better to consider them as seperate entities.

The best thing is to call your local building department (or look at their website). They will have a frostline given in inches used for foundation footings. Best practice is keep water pipes below that depth.

What are the plans to keep the daylight end of the 3 inch pipe ice free?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #5

I'm not 100% on what ill do to keep the daylight end from freezing. before this system I just had a trench dug with wood over it with some straw on that which ran to daylight and it never froze in the years it was this way.

I'm open to any ideas on this.

Also I have to mention the main issue I'm concerned about is the 1 1/2 line from the house to the first barrel remaining full of water...or not based on the design of the system I.e the inlet being below the water line inside the barrel possible keeping the inlet line from the house full of water ? This is what I really need an answer to.

for example on pic 3 which shows the inlet pipe going into the first barrel. the pipe goes into the barrel below the water line inside the barrel and below the 3" pipe which connects both barrels. I could pull up the inlet line and cut it so its not under water and above the 3" pipe which connects the two barrels. I have been told by a local guy the way it currently is is fine and "should" work but somewhere here I read on a fairly similar issue because its below the water line it may restrict drainage rate and flow.

Last edited by survivor777; 09-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
grey water drain , submerged outlet , water outlet under water