Where Do I Even Start With My Lawn. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 474

Where do I even start with my lawn.

I feel overwhelmed because our lawn is horrible and I don't know where to start. Here are some shots, what's the best approach to try and tame this "lawn"?
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I even start with my lawn.-2015-05-21-19.05.31.jpg   Where do I even start with my lawn.-2015-05-21-19.05.18.jpg   Where do I even start with my lawn.-2015-05-21-19.05.22.jpg  
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Had a soil test done yet?
Does not look by the pictures there's even any top soil.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Had a soil test done yet?
Does not look by the pictures there's even any top soil.
Nope, is that something I can do? Like a kit? We moved in about 2 years ago and just now are focusing on the outside vs inside. I know there are sprinkler heads in the ground but the system doesn't work so who knows. Is this one of those situations it's better to start from scratch?
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 188

A local nursery can help you with who to contact for a soil test. From what I can tell from the pics, the brown stuff is all of the annual weeds that died over winter. By mid summer, you'll have new weeds filling those areas.

Given the dry spring we've had so far, I wouldn't try starting a lawn now unless you have cheap or unlimited water. If it gets hot and dry, you'll be watering all summer long.

Get the soil test done so you will know what amendments need to be added.
Figure out if you can get the sprinkler system running or determine if you will replace it.
Late July, plan on killing what's there. Once it's dead, get your soil amendments and til it under.
Mid-August, plant your seed and keep it well watered.
For 2016, plan on keeping the lawn watered (but not over watered) so it establishes deep roots and fills in.

How much land are you working with?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Nope, is that something I can do? Like a kit? We moved in about 2 years ago and just now are focusing on the outside vs inside. I know there are sprinkler heads in the ground but the system doesn't work so who knows. Is this one of those situations it's better to start from scratch?
This is the same basic information a lab would produce as a result if you only want the basics. They just don't buy the kits from wallmart.

Local nurseries sometimes are willing to help with recommendations for corrective measures, especially if you purchase their products.

The soil structure test can be evaluated by your county resources if available. I doubt a lab would be interested it that.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

Do you have a lot of shade?Do you have grubs right now?Do you have moles?Is it sand or clay base?What types of grass do all of the neighbors grow?Did you have a hard winter, that may of killed the grass?
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

Looks to me like you have some decisions to make. The first decision is, do you want a beautiful lawn, or do you want a place where your kids can play and your family can spend time? The answer to that question will determine how far you go with this lawn.

That said, if you're going to do anything to improve it...

First, you need to subdue your weeds. The cheapest and most effective way to do this is to get hand-pump sprayer and a gallon of 2,4-D at a local farm store. This stuff kills broadleaf weeds, but not grass. Mix it appropriately and spray your yard (this is going to take some time). Do this in the evening after your kids are out of the yard for the day. KEEP THIS STUFF AWAY FROM FLOWERS, ETC.

I would then rent an overseeder and "plant" a dense-shade mixture of grass. *Good grass seed is expensive. This is going to cost you some bucks.

Water the lawn twice daily until the grass seed germinates (2-3 weeks). After it germinates, water the lawn once daily for the next month. After that, water the lawn every 2-3 days until fall.

Keep in mind that this is a "process" that is going to take you several years. You will not have a lawn that looks like a putting green tomorrow. Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 26

My grass is one of my hobbies, and one topic I'm gonna be on the lookout for. Here. I shoot for carpet. And always come up short. so a expert I'm not. But over the course I've picked up some things.

U started too late. This year is shot. Short of a sodding and u don't have much time left even for that. Very early spring. Or fall. And fall is best. To get the grass in and growing. U could kill the weeds. But I d think you need them so you got something green, for the summer. Then get with it in the fall. I think.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

I'm all in all happy with my back. Looks worse really in pics than it is.

My front is I know so much better. But I hate it. Lol. I want perfect and never get there. There's always next year lol
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement