When Exactly In FALL To Use Pre-emergent? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

When exactly in FALL to use pre-emergent?

I am in North Alabama. My lawn is Bermuda. I have a pre-emergent ready to use. Everything I read says timing is CRITICAL for fall application, but no one says when that critical time is. I've read that September is the time. Others say September through November. I've read that if you don't hit that sweet spot, it will be a waste to do the pre-emergent.

So, when is it?

Is it based on temperature outside? Temperature of the soil? When the Bermuda goes dormant?

Last edited by Dave Lombardo; 10-05-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Dave Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

Re: When exactly in FALL to use pre-emergent?

What is the product and what does the label say ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

@Cedrus , the product is Prodiamine 65wdg. The booklet says, "can be applied in a single application or in sequential applications to control weeds germinating throughout the year". Then is has a maximum amount to use for the year. And a recommended month for spring application. So, vague, like everything else I've seen.
Dave Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 576

Went to the site. I am no expert, but......my guess is timing not real important. You can spray now and re-apply 14 days later. April and May are stated...but why not now and later on ?

There is or was a pre-emergent made from corn. Tried it years ago...and it worked 75% OK.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,170

Quote:
There is or was a pre-emergent made from corn
Corn gluten meal.

FWIW, while not in Alabama, pre-emergents are always applied in the spring around here.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,528

I guess it depends on the weeds you are trying to control. Put the stuff down a couple of weeks before the weeds normally germinate.

Myself, I have used corn gluten as a pre-emergent for crab grass (its one of the few things that are legal up here --- all nasty chemical prohibited). Crab grass is said to germinate when the ground temperature hits 50 degrees, and the corn gluten is effective as a pre-emergent for 4-5 weeks (from what I have read). I also have trouble figuring exactly when to apply it, so I put down one dose a little early, then another dose 3-4 weeks later.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 26

Per the product instructions a fall application should occur when the soil temperature drops below 50 degrees but before the ground freezes.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,332

Based on soil temperature.

Certain weeds germinate at certain times based on soil temp. and second moisture. So depends on what you are trying to control.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement