What Fertilizer And Where To Get It? For Bermuda - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

What fertilizer and where to get it? For bermuda

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fertilizer to get for my bermuda lawn. I've never done the fertilizing myself, so I have no idea what was used in the past. From what I've read online it seems like the general recommendation is to use ...

a slow-release, complete nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) turf fertilizer with a 4-1-2 ratio

... sounds good. But, from searching amazon and home depot and lowes I'm not seeing anything that matches this.

Can someone please help point me in the right direction? Where can I get the fertilizer that I need for my bermuda lawn?
Dave Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: What fertilizer and where to get it? For bermuda

Those three numbers show the ratio of products. not necessarily are those particular numbers a valid product.

Use one with a bigger first number in the spring for healthy leave growth.
Use one with a larger last number in the Fall for healthy root growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #3

Yeah, I get that those numbers are a ratio. So, after searching again, I'm seeing a lot of fertilizers with 0 phosphorus.

So, I found this fertilizer on Lowes website ... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Turf-Gro-50...lizer/50080954

... that's roughly a 2 to 1 ratio of nitrogen to potassium. It claims to be slow release. In the opinion of people more experienced that I am, does this appear to be what I would need? I'm not trying to cheap out or go all in with an unlimited budget, I just want to try something that should do the job.

I really appreciate the feedback as I'm new to this, and would really like to get this right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,592

Consider doing a soil test then your county extension service is usually very helpful in helping you with professional direction. Do both a chemical test and a soil structure test at a 3"-4 " depth at a half dozen locations of the area by mixing the soil for testing will give them valuable info. You can easily do these yourself.

You can see this soil needs everything, N-P-K plus sulfur if it's to become neutral.
Attached Images

chandler48 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks for that recommendation. I found a place where you can send soil samples. And after seeing your post I've found home test kits. I will get one of those and test some areas. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

I did a soil test on a few spots in my yard and they all came back deficient in all 3 - N,P,K.

So, I believe what I need is a slow release fertilizer with a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio. My problem is now that I don't know where to look to find this. I've searched around and come up with nothing. Where do you guys get your fertilizer? Is there a good place online to get it?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,251

Bermuda isn't very picky. Any of the turf grass fertilized sold in the big box stores will do. I don't like milorganite though. It takes a whole lot and it doesn't last long.

Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Menard's, Local garden supply store, etc.

Scott's Turf Builder
TurgGro Professional (Lowe's) (I prefer this as it's priced a lot less but works great)
Sta-Green
Lesco Professional (Home Depot and others)

Bermuda typically like more nitrogen than other grasses but don't go too overboard because you'll be mowing it every 3 days.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,592

This site has some good info. on actual application rates for soil nutrients.

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...-fertilization
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,760

If you really have to have 4-1-2 (or 12-3-6) and can't find it, you can get there in a couple of steps. You can get general purpose fertilizer labeled 10-10-10, which is the same as 1-1-1. Then on top of that you can put a typical weed and feed for lawn ideally 3-0-1 or some multiple of that ratio, which is typical for a spring weed and feed.

If you do this you should cut back the 'dose' of each from the manufacturers recommendations so you don't overfertilize.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go see what I can find in stores around here tomorrow. I know Lowe's has a Turf Gro, according to their website, which KHouse75 recommended. It's a 24-0-11 mix, so I may try that if I don't see anything better. Thanks for that link too SeniorSitizen, it has a lot more information aside from the ratios.

So, I'm in northern Alabama and the grass is just now starting to show a little green. The first fertilizer of the year, should I base when I put it down on temperature, amount of green grass or just a set date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement