What To Expect For New Lawn/landscape Installation? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

What to expect for new lawn/landscape installation?

My wife and I are building a new home and it should be completed close to the end of this year. The builder says they only do a rough grade. The subdivision is a former farm field and we will need some landscaping for a lawn around this time next year. The total lot size is about 17000sqft and the lawn area I estimate to be about 13500sqft once you take into account the house, drive and pathway. We are in southeast Wisconsin. I'd like to know if anyone has a rough idea of how much it would cost to get grass in our yard? I'm thinking I will need topsoil added and final grading and then either seed hydroseed, or sod. Per the protective covenants we need 2 trees with 2" diameter trunks 6 feet off the ground and I'd like to do a much ring around the house. I can do the mulch myself I think. Anyone have a guess and what we'd be looking at to get a lawn?
ride92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,330

Re: What to expect for new lawn/landscape installation?

Nope, none. And keep in mind I did the same thing (same lot size and yard estimation) 15 years ago in Western WI - there are just too many variables to answer remotely like this. Best is to start talking to local contractors and getting multiple bids so you can compare and ask specific questions.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 912

If the area used to be a farm you might have some decent dirt available without having to haul in topsoil. All depends on how much grading etc. that the builder did building your house and others in the neighborhood. Given the part of the country you are in unless you can get a lot planted by the end of September at the latest you aren't going to be able to do it this fall.

I'm very surprised that the builder isn't at least responsible for basic landscaping and planting of a lawn. I never do anything very good but at least they do something that gives you something to work from and gives you time to plan out what you want to do. Actually, most mortgage companies require it.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,330

Quote:
I'm very surprised that the builder isn't at least responsible for basic landscaping and planting of a lawn.
Might be the location - my WI home came the same way; just a rough grade from the builder.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,540

Talk to the local landscape companies about price and how late in the year they can do it.

If you are putting down sod, that gives you a longer window to lay it down. I have seen sod put down in what must have been first few days in December. I can't imagine where they could even get sod that late in the year. But in the spring, it came was all nice and green.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 590

Do the CC&R's permit landscaping with other than..... lawn ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrus View Post
Do the CC&R's permit landscaping with other than..... lawn ?
I'm not sure, I'd have to go back and look. I'm pretty sure they have just said that landscaping needs to be in place by a certain time frame. For homes completed after labor day I think you have one year to get something installed. Having 2 young girls and a 3rd on the way I will definitely be needing grass in the yard for them to play.
ride92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement