What To Do With LOTS Of Leaves? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 490

What to do with LOTS of leaves?

Our house has a bunch of big trees with lots of leaves that fall every year. Our city does not have the curbside vacuum pickup, but does have curbside lawn waste pickup - ie. brown lawn bags, bundles of sticks/branches, etc.

Just filled 24 brown lawn bags with leaves from the front yard alone. The trees aren't even halfway done dropping everything yet, nor has the backyard been touched. Current process is backpack leaf blower most of it into piles, then manually fill the brown lawn bags. The bags usually become too heavy before bag volume capacity is reached.

Are there better options to get rid of all of these leaves? Or do I just suck it up and put 60-70 lawn bags out for lawn waste pickup over a few weeks?
dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: What to do with LOTS of leaves?

At one time, in some suburbs, people were allowed to rake them into the gutter & burn them. That was when a flint wasn't needed to strike a match. Who remembers that? A match could be struck on a curb stone or the bottom of your shoe. Maybe you can burn them on your land. Check with your local municipality.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
At one time, in some suburbs, people were allowed to rake them into the gutter & burn them. That was when a flint wasn't needed to strike a match. Who remembers that? A match could be struck on a curb stone or the bottom of your shoe. Maybe you can burn them on your land. Check with your local municipality.
Not allowed, unfortunately. Although we do have a fireplace inside....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Guapo

LOL. That would take forever. Does the municipality have a dump?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post

Are there better options to get rid of all of these leaves? Or do I just suck it up and put 60-70 lawn bags out for lawn waste pickup over a few weeks?

A leaf blower with a vacuum / shredder will reduce the bulk 8 or 10 -1. I've filled many a brown bag with shredded dry leaves and never had one too heavy.

Once shredded a compost pile is a good way to get free organic matter for the lawn or flower beds.
Dave Sal, NickTheGreat and KPDMinc like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,128

I have a much smaller area to deal with and fewer big trees but my back-up walk behind mower is a mulcher and came with a bag. I dug out the bag and set the wheels a bit higher and mulched and collected. I was surprised at how well it worked.

Assuming you have a rider then maybe converting it to a mulching bagger might work.

Any chance of creating a compost bin?

Bud
Ditto on what Colbyt said while I was typing.

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-05-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
A leaf blower with a vacuum / shredder will reduce the bulk 8 or 10 -1. I've filled many a brown bag with shredded dry leaves and never had one too heavy.

Once shredded a compost pile is a good way to get free organic matter for the lawn or flower beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
I have a much smaller area to deal with and fewer big trees but my back-up walk behind mower is a mulcher and came with a bag. I dug out the bag and set the wheels a bit higher and mulched and collected. I was surprised at how well it worked.

Assuming you have a rider then maybe converting it to a mulching bagger might work.

Any chance of creating a compost bin?

Bud
Ditto on what Colbyt said while I was typing.
I'll have to try out composting. Added some to garden already this year after pulling out the plants. Worried that there is just too much to compost. In other words, Even shredding at a 10:1 ratio, I'm thinking that there will be a massive pile left still and won't even be able to use it all. Or maybe it will reduce smaller than expected haha.

No riding lawn mower, although the 20 in self-propelled does have mulch setting or bag. Could just run it on bag and empty it frequently. Doesn't get shredded as much as a mulcher, but still pretty good last attempt.

What about those electric "mulching pots"? Something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worx-6-8...G430/202488905
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,997

I use a $39 corded Black and Decker after the gas blower died. It sucks them up and puts them in fabric bag which I dump into the paper bag.

Looks like the price is up : https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKE...Blower/3726783
Old 11-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,217

We have some timber behind our house, so I just blow and/or dump in there.

But you need some way to shred up the leaves. Either your mower with a bagging attachment, or the leaf blower/vac route.

The leaf blower/vac is great until you hit a small piece of mulch. I have the Stihl one, so it's a nice unit, but I have to open and remove mulch 4 or 5 times every time I use it!
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 174

At my last house I had 15 mature trees in the yard (1/2 acre) and I ground them with a walk behind mower with a bagger. Dumped them in the bed of my pickup (no bags) and took them to the local leaf drop off location. You would be surprised at how many will fit in a pickup when ground up. Check with your county and see if they have drop off locations.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,510

The excess weight is from the moisture. If you could choose late afternoon to rake when the relative humidity was possibly lower, especially if there is a slight breeze, that weight will be less by quite a lot. I realize we don't always have that choice and it looks as if your weather choice isn't that favorable at the present.

Some nurseries make compost/potting soil by the tons and they may be interested in the leaves, otherwise it's put them at the curb with a free sign, a for sale sign so someone will steal them or wait on curbside waste pick-up day.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

Option 1. Shred the leaves and fill the rows in your garden, and then till them into the soil. For many years, my parents do that with 100% of the leaves and acorns on their 1 acre property (full of huge pecan and oak trees, including two HUGE HUGE live oaks). The garden took ALL of it and thrived!

Option 2. Shred remaining leaves and insert into a corner of your property for mulching them. This can become additional garden supplements throughout the growing seasons in your garden, and will help block weeds as well.

Option 3. If the mulch pile in your yard becomes too large, then bag the remaining shredded leaves and curb them for pick-up.

Option 4. Pay someone to come twice (midpoint of leaf fall, and end of leaf fall) to vacuum/shred/dispose of leaves.

Option 5. Relocate to a property which is more easily maintained. This may sound extreme, but my wife and I see the same thing in our own future, and we see the empty nesters in our neighborhood killing themselves trying to maintain properties which are too burdensome for them. We have 1.5 acres, most of which is natural area which hosts our annual leaf fall quite nicely (with the help of a nice backpack blower). However, the property maintenance is a growing burden, especially since my sons are all out of the lawn maintenance cycle (trimming low level sucker branches, picking up dead branches, dealing with the impact of pine beetles, removing dying trees, spraying roundup to keep the undergrowth to a minimum, etc.). We have just agreed that both the yard and over-sized home are not too far away from being too large for us to maintain just for ourselves, and when we get to the point where we can't or don't want to continue that level of maintenance, then it will be time for us to relocate/downsize.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!

Last edited by F250; 11-05-2018 at 05:39 PM.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 6

I just mulch my leaves into the lawn. It helps to build up the organic material content of the soil. If you think the leaves are too much in certain areas, blow them into other areas that don't have so many leaves and mulch them into the yard there. Take advantage of the resource that falls from the trees to feed your yard.
CaptTom likes this.
w0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
Guapo

I know a guy who gets a lot of leaves on his property. The only problem is that the trees aren't on his property. I told him to tell the neighbors to come get their leaves.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0j0 View Post
I just mulch my leaves into the lawn. It helps to build up the organic material content of the soil. If you think the leaves are too much in certain areas, blow them into other areas that don't have so many leaves and mulch them into the yard there. Take advantage of the resource that falls from the trees to feed your yard.
I think you're underestimating how many leaves we're talking about here. Here's a picture from my back yard a few years back. You can see the leaves are probably 6" to 8" deep up by the mower, and more like 12" to 15" deep further towards the back.

If you were able to mulch them all (doubtful) my yard would be covered in mulch confetti!
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement