What Do I Need To Remove This Weed? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

What do I need to remove this weed?

I had planted a new lawn at the end of last summer and this spring a nice but somewhat thin lawn filled in. However now it's been overrun by this weed - that looks somewhat like grass- but doesn't stand straight up like grass.
I put down a weed killer but doesn't seem to have done anything - see pic.
What should I use?
Attached Thumbnails
What do I need to remove this weed?-20180724_195105.jpg  
cgott42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,210

Re: What do I need to remove this weed?

Looks a bit like crabgrass to me. I have some crabgrass in a part of my yard that I sodded in 2017. There are few enough that I am still able to pull them by hand.

In another part of the yard the crabgrass has taken over one whole section. It's too late in the season to do anything about it but next spring I'll make sure to apply some crab grass preventer (Scotts Turfbuilder plus Halts crabgrass preventer) so I don't have this problem next summer.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,606

Best to pull it out as soon as you see it. It will die off in the winter, but will have already dropped its seeds, which will try to come up in the spring.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

Traditional weed killers containing 2,4-D will do nothing for large blade grasses. Need something containing quinclorac. Try Drive xlr8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,170

It can be tough to kill a weed grass because often the only things that will kill it will also kill the grass(es) you want to keep. If it is crabgrass, you got good advice. We have something around here I can't identify but we just call it bunch grass and the best way to kill it is RoundUp - we pour it into a cup and 'paint' the leaves of the bunch grass with a small brush which sort of makes a non-specific herbicide specific and doesn't harm the grass we want to keep.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 14

You can remove the weed by using the following techniques:
Pulling by hand- This is an effective method but you should pull the weeds along with its roots.
Removing with a hoe: A gardening tool named winged weeder can be used to remove the weeds.
Using a chemical product: Ortho's Weed-B-Gon kills many weeds including dandelions, crabgrass, and clover without damaging the lawns.
emmacornette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 917

The other part of weed control is soil quality, water, and fertilizer.
Usually the weeds are more hardy than the grass and will continue to grow where the grass will be just barely hanging on. In optimal conditions, the grass will eventually outgrow and crowd out the weeds.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,170

Quote:
In optimal conditions, the grass will eventually outgrow and crowd out the weeds
I used to think that statement was crap until I had a neighbor who put in the time and effort to encourage the grass until it did actually crowd out the weeds.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement