Weedeater: How Do You Keep The Line From Getting Jammed - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BayouRunner
  • 1 Post By Cedrus

Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,120

Weedeater: How do you keep the line from getting jammed

Hi;
I've got an inexpensive Toro electric weed eater which uses a dual string.
The spool has a divider in the middle so two strings can be wound.

The original spool was fine. I never had a problem with the auto-feed.
But after purchasing bulk line and winding myself, I am having problems with the line jamming constantly.

The line I purchased is Arnold Maxi Edge .065". That is the correct size, but I am not sure if the OEM line was multi-edged like this one is.

I watched several YouTube videos on winding the line. Some of these videos are contradictory. One video shows winding the spool in haphazard arrangement of the string, while another shows winding with the turns of string neatly arranged next to each other.
Some videos tell you to wind the string tightly, while others say don't wind it too tight.

I find it impossible to wind the line so that no lines cross each other. First, the slots in the spool's center create a "bump" in the line if you attempt to wind the 2nd layer directly on top of the 1st layer. And no matter how hard I try to keep line from dropping in-between turns of the lower layer, they seem to get stuck in there as the machine is used.

This has been very frustrating, and for what? To save a few dollars (or more) on line? At this point, I'm ready to give up on the bulk line and buy pre-wound spools. I'm not sure how much they cost, and whether I need a specific model spool to fit the Toro machine or what.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

FW

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 270

Re: Weedeater: How do you keep the line from getting jammed

Not an expert, but i used to have good results with installing neatly next to each other and then working back on next row and so on...and keeping the line snug, not tight, but just enough to keep the string from unwinding on you before reinstalling..

Im sure others will chime in, good luck..
cubangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

Just change the head. Use one of the ones that you insert a piece about 8 inches long. Instead of winding, it's really easy. Probably $20 for the head. It's worth it just for the stress factor lol. I just put a few extra pieces in my pocket when I trim. Seems like I use a lot less line than I used to with the spool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colbyt likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,986

In my experience, jammed lines are a result of winding to tight.
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Maybe I should just buy a pre-wound spool and have a good look at how it has been wound (or course by machine).
During a Google search I found references to oiling the line after it has been wound. Spraying with WD40 was one method. Another said he used motor oil.
Problem with that, it's going to leave oil on what is cut.

I am going to try winding as neat as I can, and only tight enough to keep the turns of line neat. If that doesn't work, I will go and buy the pre-wound spools.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,518

I do like Cubangt.
Not sure if its the best method, but its what I do.
My trimmer does not "tap", string feeds out (usually, but not always) when you stop and start the motor. If it just will not feed and I have to pull off the string head, it typically looks like the line got pulled too tight during use.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

I just finished using my weed eater. At first, the line got jammed, so I unwound and re-wound it, trying to keep it neat and snug (but not tight). That worked for a while, but it got jammed again, so I re-wound a little less snugly. That seemed to work, as it didn't jam anymore, but it will not auto-feed. I think I need to clean out the eyelets in the spool housing. There isn't any debris inside where the spool goes, but the eyelets have some grass on them. I guess that will stop the line from feeding while the head stops spinning.

All in all, I like the tool. It does a good job without overheating. Being electric, that is always a hazard, but so far I have not had that problem with the Toro.
Perhaps the line issue is that I bought the "wrong" type. It is the correct thickness (0.065"), but perhaps the multi-edged line just doesn't work so well in this tool.

I'll see how it goes once I get the whole thing cleaned.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #8

I have given up on this. No matter how I wind the line, it gets stuck at some point. I am now certain that my problem is the line I am using. I bought the "Maxi Edge .065" which has multiple edges. While this design may do a better job at cutting, it also allows/causes the line to get stuck. It is simply the way the line sits as it is wound on the spool, or how it ends up after the spool has been spinning for some time. The edges lock together.
So, if I just get a round string I should not have this problem - right?

Considering that ONE SPOOL of double-line (15ft each) for this Toro electric trimmer costs almost as much as 200ft of bulk line, I am willing to give the bulk line one more try - so long as I can be sure the line I buy doesn't have multiple edges.
So I guess I'm going to take a ride over to my local HD and see what I can find.
If anyone is interested in this problem, I will post again once I have tested the new line.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,986

Another thought came to mind.

When you are tapping to feed line, is the trimmer running full speed?

Remember the trimmer depends on centrifugal force to help feed the line. If the head is not spinning fast enough, the line will not feed.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 576

If post #9 does not help....I like a trimmer that has just one piece, knotted at the base, heavy line. See post #3.
BayouRunner likes this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 160

I find that mine jams most frequently when cutting large woody weeds. If I cut them when small, tender and green I seldom jam.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
weed eater , weed wacker , weedeater