Weed Control Or Overseed? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 338

Weed control or overseed?

I recently regraded and did a lot of landscaping which required seeding a new lawn. I did that and got decent results for seeding in July in a heat wave, but there are as one would expect, some patchy areas and weeds galore.

Now that the days and nights are cooling off, I'm thinking maybe I should overseed and try to take care of the patchy thin areas. But the more established areas also need fertilizer and the weeds are all over between the two. My concern with seed is that there is still a good layer of straw and netting present in spots from the straw mats and I cant really rake it up. So I'm afraid the seed won't make good contact with the earth.

I was thinking maybe I should use some fertilizer and weed control now to help the grass that's made it so far and dormant seed over the winter. Or should I seed now, grow what I can, and dormant seed this winter and not worry about the weeds for now?

Some pictures for reference.

The most thin spot

Some areas came in really nice but now need fertilizer

The worst weeds
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

I would over seed now or sometime in the next few weeks and skip the fertilizer for the time being. If you seed now it should have enought time to germinate and get some root growth before winter. Next spring it will fill out nicely and a weed and feed then will clear up your problem before summer. If you do a weed and feed now you risk damaging the young growth. However, if you do decide to go that route go light to avoid killing off your hard work.
kdowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,718

Not trying to "rub it in" but you have the classic symptoms of seeding a lawn in the heat of Summer .
I would manually pull as much of that crabgrass as possible & over seed . As far as the straw , I know this is stating the obvious , but grass seed won't properly germinate w/out adequate contact w/moistened soil .
Would suggest waiting till spring to hit it with weed killer/preventer
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,488

Check soil moisture in the yellowed area. It has dry symptoms relative to the greener area.

Weeds - just don't allow them to seed. Most of them will be frost killed in the near future.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 322

Like SS said weeds will die with first frost, overseed now (or when cools off) then overseed again in spring using a starter fertilizer with weed preventer. pull weeds by hand now if you can get them all.
mske390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement