Water Runoff From Neighbor - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 438

Water runoff from neighbor

Unfortunately my neighbor's backyard is adjacent to the side of my house. During heavy rainstorm, I find a large puddle of standing water at the edge of their backyard or side of my home. This puddle eventually goes away in a couple days. However, I am seeing quite a bit of water going into my sump pump.

Can standing water about 15-20 ft away from my foundation cause water to go into my basement sump pump? I guess anything is possible with ground water but I think I have generally high water table but wasn't sure if standing water that far away could contribute. Fixing this issue is probably going to be expensive (french drain or swale) running out the front of my house.

Thanks
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Water runoff from neighbor

Water flows downhill, so if the puddle is at a higher elevation than the water level in your sump, the standing water in the puddle will move towards your sump. How much flow you get depends on how permeable the soil is between the standing water and the sump.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

We have clay soil around here and the neighbor's backyard grades down (slightly) towards the side of my house. And then our grading helps contain that water about 15 ft away - mostly due to natural depression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,112

Basements often have the problem that they were dug into the ground cutting through the below surface drainage plane. We can see the drainage above ground but there are an entirely independent drainage layers below that surface and often they were altered when the land was prepared for construction. So, yes any surface water that soaks into the ground can be contributing to your sump pump activity. When I do any surface drainage I tend to exaggerate the slope knowing I can always add soil if needed, but removing more would involve a repeat of the initial effort.

As a note there is often language in zoning ordinances that says something like, a given land owner cannot alter the flow of water onto of off from their land. When you say the neighbors land is sending their water over to create that pond on your property maybe they shouldn't be doing that.

Anyway, it sounds like a swale will fit and they can be made to look good.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #5

Thanks Bud. I noticed no more water puddle and sure enough sump pump is running less. Granted I still get pump activity due to high water table, but I am sure it doesn't help that all of my neighbors water is coming my way. The puddle is right at public utility easement area so I am hoping the village can encourage the neighbor to cooperate.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,112

That puddle may be a bit farther away from the neighbors basement but may still be an issue for them as well, subsurface water can be strange.

If your village followed an overall approved plan then it very well may have specified contours and drainage and what you have may not have been intended in the original design. Those plans should be available at your planning office.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
We have clay soil around here and the neighbor's backyard grades down (slightly) towards the side of my house. And then our grading helps contain that water about 15 ft away - mostly due to natural depression.
Ayuh,.... Ya need to continue a swale from the bottom of the depression, to somewhere downhill,....
Ideally, that would be right down the property line,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. I will speak to the village engineer hopefully today. I do have drain basin within 15 ft from the water retention that connects to the storm water but it's a small pit and wouldn't want neighbors water to go in there and perhaps overwhelm my basin. I guess swale is our best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement