Very Dense Dark Patches - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 398

Very dense dark patches

Does anyone know what these are and how to treat them? It's hard to describe, but they are VERY dense dark green patches of grass that started popping up a couple weeks ago. M

When I stand on them it feels like I'm standing on a slightly higher then the rest of the grass. It feels really thick and dense on the feet.

I thought about waiting until the fall, digging it up and re-seeding but now they are starting to spread. Is this a brighter issue? Will it just come back?

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

The close-up photo of foliage in the third photo looks like the foliage of the spring bulb Siberian Squill. The foliage gradually becomes more abundant as the blooms age, to the point that it's like a thick grassy area by the time the blooms are or have faded.

The stalks set seeds, which look like chick peas. As the seeds mature, they gradually diappear and the foliage becomes very, very lush. Eventually it just disappears as the foliage of spring bulbs does.

I have a suspicion that this bulb spread into your lawn but was kept from blooming by repeated mowing - the mower cuts are clearly visible on the top of the foliage blades.

The Squills are spread very easily, whether by wind or pollinators. I have them in my yard - this year they created a beautiful flowing and meandering bed almost 50' wide and about 20' deep.

Although I've never dug them up to examine their root system, I think that might be what makes them feel more dense and thicker than the grass.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 190

Looks like crabgrass. The growth would match with the time of year.

It's going to not be fun, but I would pull it up to keep it from spreading.
Advertisement