Using A Sod Cutter - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,016

using a sod cutter

Hello to all,

I need to cut 1225 sq ft of my yard which is comprised of sporadic st Augustine, weeds and left over winter rye.

I have about 9 sprinkler heads that I need to navigate around and wanted to know if it is difficult to do? The heads sprinkler heads are down about 2 inches and I want to only cut 1.5", but I don't want to take the change of hitting them.

Any other tips on using a sod cutter would be greatly appreciated, The model is Klassen SC-18.

Thank you and let me know if you have any questions, thanks, tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,785

Re: using a sod cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
I have about 9 sprinkler heads that I need to navigate around and wanted to know if it is difficult to do? The heads sprinkler heads are down about 2 inches and I want to only cut 1.5", but I don't want to take the change of hitting them.

Any other tips on using a sod cutter would be greatly appreciated, The model is Klassen SC-18.

2" below the top of the grass or the dirt?

Never used one but have watched. My understanding is that you cut only about 1/2" of top soil else sod farms would run out of dirt.

I would practice where they aren't.

Why a sod cutter? Do you plan to reuse the sod? If not why not just kill it?
Msradell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,614

I would flag the sprinklers and leave them for hand cutting around them.
Colbyt likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Hello to all,

I need to cut 1225 sq ft of my yard which is comprised of sporadic st Augustine, weeds and left over winter rye.

Thank you and let me know if you have any questions, thanks, tstex
Hmm.

What are you planning to do? I'm assuming that you want to keep the area you're cutting as a lawn, otherwise you'd remove the sprinklers. Am I correct?

I've used sod cutters way back in the 80s when I was younger and sod cutters might have been heavier, but I didn't care. But it was tough, especially when it got hot.

If you only have a bit of St. Aug, and it's mostly annual rye, I'd treat a bunch of times with some ghyphosate and kill 'em all as Metallica (and @Colbyt ) said, then dig and compost (carefully around the sprinkler heads) then replant. No point in sodding out winter rye, since it's annual and dies off anyway.

A huge problem with St. Aug is that it roots all over the place, and cutting it might not get it all anyway. On the other hand, if you're itching for some physical activity you can make a huge initial dent in it by getting out there and pulling up what you can, because it will pull up easily if it's only recently spread to an area. (Look closely: recently invaded st. Aug will have a lot of crawly over the surface, but won't have had the chance to make heavy turf yet.)

On the other hand, if you want to cut it out, I'd say go for deeper cut, and hand cut around the heads as @Nealtw suggests.

Let us know what you do and take some pictures to share. You'll help all of us.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 04-30-2019 at 11:45 AM.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,016

Thanks to all.

Yes, I will surely mark the sprinkler heads for sure and manually cut around them. I was going to make a lot of straight cuts free of sprinkler heads to get s feel for the dod cutter, then some curve too and cross cross cut around the sprinkler heads.

I want to go deep enough to remove tons of weed seeds that were probably deposited when we lost the st Augustine and b4 we could plant winter rye. This will also remove most major lawn root structures, and since we have no tree roots, good there.

I'm have 3-4 cu yds of an enriched top soil made specifically for resodding yards. I'm first outing down 50/60lbs of granulated molasses for inducing great microbe activity which will jump start the grass roots. Then spreading the top soil about an inch thick, then w the sod, it should bring me back to the level I started. I have about 3-4 yard guys helping me 😃😃😃😃. I'll be a working foreman.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Also, a nbor is having a crawfish boil later Saturday Aftn so I know where I'm going after we're finished / supposed to get rain later that day too👍👍
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement