Underground Gutter Drain Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 94

Underground Gutter Drain Question

Hi, I am looking at a way to pipe away a proposed partial gutter system on a lot with severe grading/drainage issues. One contractor suggests running a gutter along the eves on the back of the roof into a 4” PVC pipe that would travel along the side yard picking up another short run of gutter from a valley along the way before finally taking the water to the street.

The problem is is that the curb is about a 12-15” rise from the house. He suggests that once the pipe starts at back of house, it will be sloped underground until just before it reaches the curb and then elbowed up vertically to the surface, terminating in a pop up emitter.

Looking at the measurements involved and considering a 1/4” minimum slope, the pipe would be almost 30” underground before going straight up. This seems to me to be less a drain than a bleed-off outlet relying more on rising water than gravity to get the water to the street. I would like to know if anyone has seen a system like this work effectively in heavy (2-4”/hour) rains. I don’t have the roof measurements handy, but it’s a lot of water involved -often coming down very fast- and I’m concerned that it would tend to back up before draining.

Thanks.
RedYucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Sounds like a silly idea to me.
Water does not run up hill.
Pop ups will stop working at some point.
First choice is always to run the drain to day light.
No one knows where you are because there's no location in your profile so there may also be freezing issues.
concretemasonry (07-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,..... Any water dumped in the top, will exit the bottom, so long as the outlet is lower than the inlet,....

Think of it as a fast movin' semi-drywell,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 94

Thanks for your responses. I am in Central Texas (flash flood alley). The house is situated in a three-sided bowl making it impossible to daylight to surface.

Joecaption: I appreciate your point about the failure potential of pop-up emitters. I am also concerned with how much the pop-up would neck down the 4” pipe.

Bondo: I see what you mean that it would work in theory. The contractor said that it would work just like a P-Trap... of course a P-trap “knows” how much flow to expect. Have you seen a system like this work fast enough in very heavy downpours to keep from backing up?
RedYucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,.... It'll flow as much water as will pass through the size of pipe in a given time,....

If ya don't think 4" can flow enough, go to 6",.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement