Trim Pine Tree - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 723

Trim pine tree

I am not sure what type of pine tree I have, but would like to cut the limbs near the bottom, and somehow make it thinner and shorter if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Trim pine tree-20190504_180541.jpg   Trim pine tree-20190504_180508.jpg  
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 920

Re: Trim pine tree

Any idea why some of the branches died? They rarely come back so it would be best to cut them. While it's usually considered best to trim trees in the fall I've never seen any issues with trimming pine in any season.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,670

I'd consider removing it altogether. Cutting the top of trees is not proper - it interferes with their continued growth vitality. It also looks as if the main trunk was cut before and now there are just two offshoots. Those are weaker, off balance, and at some point will probably break with a good wind.

If its the size and open canopy you want to be different, there's a different tree to match your desires.

With your username I woulda thought you'd be telling us what to do
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,156

@greentrees , looks like your pine has an infestation of some kind of bad bug, which caused some of the branches to die back. I'd cut those off, and maybe burn them if you can.

Be careful about topping a pine too much. You can nip the top a bit, and it will branch, but cut down too far, and it will stop growing from that lead.

Maybe give us a more detailed idea of the problem you're trying to solve?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 920

I missed the making it shorter part - IMO it is almost always a bad idea to top a tree.
Bondo likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I missed the making it shorter part - IMO it is almost always a bad idea to top a tree.
Mature pines, for sure. Younger trees and dicots are a bit better to do that with, though one has to be careful.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #7

Any idea what type of pine tree this is? I was trying to see if there were any cutting techniques for this specific pine tree. Sounds like topping or severe trimming would be an issue. I think there is some issues with shade that might have killed part of the tree.

This tree was part of the house purchase, so trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't really like it since it seems too large for that area. A scrub would be better. In the photo you can see that the tree sits on a ridge. I was thinking the roots might help keep that ridge intact, or maybe the boulders are really doing the job. If I remove the tree I was worried that it might compromise the driveway in some way.

I would really like to cut it down to 6 feet, but maybe better just to remove it and replace it with something easier to manage.

note: about 90% of the tree is still green, so greentrees might still apply. Though I can't take credit for any of the trees around my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Trim pine tree-front-tree1.jpg  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 774

If anything it would be better for your drive might and that ridge to get rid of the tree. The roots have to be exerting pressure against a stone retaining wall and could eventually make it tumble.
mark sr likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 548

I agree it is best to remove entirely. Trimming in warm season could attract beetles. Cover the stump with something thick and goopy.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
If anything it would be better for your drive might and that ridge to get rid of the tree. The roots have to be exerting pressure against a stone retaining wall and could eventually make it tumble.
I wasn't thinking that the tree might affect the stones, but you are probably right. I am not sure what the house looked like originally, but assume the stones were there to begin with. Cutting down the tree and replacing with a small scrub would be nice. Any suggestion on an evergreen tree or decorative tree that might look nice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrus View Post
I agree it is best to remove entirely. Trimming in warm season could attract beetles. Cover the stump with something thick and goopy.
I had a larger pine cut down in the front of the house. I was a few feet from the foundation. I drilled a few holes in the trunk and put some epsom salt in the holes. This hopefully will dry out the stump. Not sure if there is any issue with beetles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement