Tree Sap On Car Attracting Bees, Cut? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Tree Sap on Car Attracting Bees, Cut?

Hi,

Last spring we put an asphalt driveway in front of our house next to a tree. Lately this summer/fall, a bunch of white stuff has been falling from the tree, you can see it on the photo on the asphalt without my car being parked there. I think it is tree sap or fungus. Either way my car requires 2 washings every week because of it and even with that, the wasps are attracted to my car like crazy. I don't know what to do. Do I start trimming the tree that overhangs the asphalt driveway? I've trimmed trees before, big branches even, but this tree's overhang seems to go all the way to the top, so I will try to get what I can, or the most of it by the bottom anyway.. In retrospect, putting the asphalt there was a bad idea, but nothing we can do to change that..

Is there any advice you guys have for a better solution ? I guess I am a bit skeptical on the sap attracting the bees, that's what my coworker told me anyway. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Tree Sap on Car Attracting Bees, Cut?-3.jpg   Tree Sap on Car Attracting Bees, Cut?-1.jpg   Tree Sap on Car Attracting Bees, Cut?-2.jpg  
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 107

Is the stuff sticking to your stickup? It's tree sap. More likely you have wasps being attracted to the sweet liquid rather than beans. The white stuff on the tree looks like a fungus but I don't that's your sticky residue problem. If it were me, I would remove the tree. A tree growing this close to the driveway is only going to be a problem in the future. You covered up some portion of the root zone with driveway so now there is no water or air penetration into the root zone in that area. Also any additional root growth may compromise the driveway. The tree needs water and air in the root zone, The tree doesn't look that healthy and with the new driveway in place, it's health will surely decline over time.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

The only problem with cutting the tree is that the main service line is going right through it on the other side...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #4

That can be taken care. I had to have a tree removed that was dangerously close my service line. . The POCO dropped the service line and reconnected when the tree company was done. No charge.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
That can be taken care. I had to have a tree removed that was dangerously close my service line. . The POCO dropped the service line and reconnected when the tree company was done. No charge.
I suspect the POCO would rather take the opportunity on their terms rather than on natures terms during an ice storm or other adverse conditions. Just think how much less electric power problems would be if it were illegal to plant a tree of xxx mature growth size within xxx proximity to a power line.

Tree looks like fire wood to me and replace with a suitable size if one must take its place.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

What is the POCO? The electric company? Do they usually trim or cut the tree going through the main service line free of charge? Because I think a normal tree cutting company will not cut it or charge a lot of money due to the safety issue..

Also, anyone know what kind of tree it is?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

Poco = Power company. Talk to the tree company, it may not be a big deal and if it is they will know what to do. The power company may disconnect it like mentioned.

Looks like a Maple. If it was taller and straighter a company may take it down for free, otherwise they make real good fire wood.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

Tree companies will usually make all the arrangements with the POCO if hire them. They do it all the time. Heck they probably now the first name of half the Customer service reps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement