Tree Fungi - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 312

tree fungi

we removed two rather large pepper trees just over two years ago. had the stumps ground down to below the ground. shortly after, we planted a beautiful row of purple fountain grass. Gardener trimmed them back last Saturday, and we discovered this underneath, right where the pepper trees were. Assume its decaying tree fungus? from what Ive researched? There were 4 large clumps - one of which started forming around a glider swing we had sitting there. is there a way to keep this fungi from returning? it was a pretty hard substance taking a few whacks of a shovel to remove them. Threw them in the garbage can - covered in ants this morning...
Attached Thumbnails
tree fungi-img_3778.jpg   tree fungi-img_3777.jpg  
KPDMinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 176

Re: tree fungi

I know from experience that if you leave stump grindings in the hole mixed with the dirt, mushrooms will come right up. Mine weren't shaped like what you posted, but more like umbrellas. I raked the grindings out on the last stump I had ground. No mushrooms yet.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,364

I bet it was all the rain we had in recent years plus the grass. The fungi may even be dead & thus hard, since it's been dry. I grew up in So.Cal & mushrooms are rare. Where you are is pretty dry, right? In No.Cal there are fairy rings that I never saw down South.
They grow off the dead tree roots.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDMinc View Post
we removed two rather large pepper trees just over two years ago. had the stumps ground down to below the ground. shortly after, we planted a beautiful row of purple fountain grass. Gardener trimmed them back last Saturday, and we discovered this underneath, right where the pepper trees were. Assume its decaying tree fungus? from what Ive researched? There were 4 large clumps - one of which started forming around a glider swing we had sitting there. is there a way to keep this fungi from returning? it was a pretty hard substance taking a few whacks of a shovel to remove them. Threw them in the garbage can - covered in ants this morning...
Oh yeah, you had a tussle with the Pepper Tree of Doom, just like I did. Mine was HUGE, from the 1940s with a crown 40 feet across.

I think you have some fungus, which is doing what I think you want, which is to eventually decompose that [expletive] stump. Wish I had some of that on mine. Pepper tree wood is hardwood, and rots slow, even when moist.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps.
KPDMinc likes this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement