Transitioning Driveway To Walkway Beside House - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Transitioning driveway to walkway beside house

I need to put a step to transition from my driveway to new walkway. The driveway is 48 inches wide from the side of the house and the walkway is 36 inches.

The contractor wants to put a 48-inch step but it reaches so far out that it is may be by an inch hanging over the drainage swale. I prefer that he uses a 36-inch step and cuts his stones or whatever to transition from 36 to 48 inches. Any opinions?
Bbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 320

Re: Transitioning driveway to walkway beside house

Having a hard time visualizing. The driveway is only 48" (4 feet) wide?

I would ask the contractor to explain why he wants to deviate from what you prefer. Post back his reasoning. It may be better as he suggests or he may be looking for the easy way out.

Added
I just saw you have another problem with grading. You really need to find a solution that will solve both issues.

Last edited by 47_47; 08-28-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (08-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,612

I think I get it the driveway is extend out the side 48" wider than the house.
I agree I would want the tapper to be above the step to signal the change from above. I also don;t like a step there, that is a bad spot in the dark, it would be better to slope it down for 7 ft
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (08-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I think I get it the driveway is extend out the side 48" wider than the house.
I agree I would want the tapper to be above the step to signal the change from above. I also don;t like a step there, that is a bad spot in the dark, it would be better to slope it down for 7 ft
We are trying to get the downspout to not empty onto the walkway. Contractor said something about the step being used to do that. Not sure exactly what he means. Does it go beside it or under it. And where will it drain then? I assume he has to do some more digging to bring it over to the swale?
Gbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 38

Here is a picture of the step and downspout. Not sure if there is an easier way to upload pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e3f7fms5m...0step.jpg?dl=0
Gbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbunny100 View Post
We are trying to get the downspout to not empty onto the walkway. Contractor said something about the step being used to do that. Not sure exactly what he means. Does it go beside it or under it. And where will it drain then? I assume he has to do some more digging to bring it over to the swale?
He just wants lay a solid pipe there and build step over it, He should go a little deeper.
You could still go level off the driveway to there and start a slope from there.
If the yard is fairly level he could string line it to the back of the house.
With water in the swale it will try to wash out under the walk. what you want is a regular side walk but the outside edge should be dug out and formed with 2x6 so the edges is a little thicker and stronger.
47_47 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (08-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement