Time Of Year To Lay Sod - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 340

time of year to lay sod

It's September in Atlanta. A neighbor had sod put in about 3 weeks ago, and already, it's hard to even tell it was done because it's grown in.

I have a project that would require sod. Just curious how late in the season I could do it.
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,356

With sod, just about any time.....except for hard winter....and I would avoid mid summer.

Spring is best with early fall being next.

Fertilize the ground first where the sod is going. Then water it well.

Even though his sod may look like it is 'grown in', I'm willing to bet you can go out there and roll up the sections with no problem. it will be about a month before the roots really start to dig into the dirt below.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

And put PLENTY of fresh topsoil down first. At least an inch, if not more. Don't just let them lay it straight down onto whatever crap might be there already. That and remove/kill any turf already present, else it'll just grow back up through the new sod.
ddawg16 (09-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
And put PLENTY of fresh topsoil down first. At least an inch, if not more. Don't just let them lay it straight down onto whatever crap might be there already. That and remove/kill any turf already present, else it'll just grow back up through the new sod.
Yea....real good points.

Me...I take the ole flat bladed pick and peel back the top layer of old sod. This is of course assuming you haven't tilled up the soil.

If tilling the soil, I make sure I remove all the old grass and weeds and I'll toss in some bags of amend (depending on the area) while I'm doing the final couple of tilling passes.

And....don't be afraid to test your soil. They make soil test kits that are DIY. If you have kids, it's actually a fun little Sat morning project.

If you know what your soil is lacking, you can adjust as needed.

I need to do it to my back yard. After I was done outside with my 2-story addition I put down new sod over the area that was abused during construction. About half the sod died in a week. Not just one area, but patches. It's not the sod, be cause we then tried seed. The seed took...then it seems when it got down about 2"...died. So I have something in the soil the grass does not like. Time to do a soil test.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,588

I'd think the grass being planted would determine when. Cool season possibly now and warm season grass would be about 3-4 months too late.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement