Testing Soil? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,320

Testing Soil?

I think I have a soil problem in my back yard. Last year I put down Marthon sod and in short order, about half of it died.

This summer I put down St Augustine sod...looked great for 3 weeks then it started to look sick...not just in spots, but all over.

A little background....the back yard was trashed during construction. I've used to to rinse out buckets of paint and drywall mud.....not to mention all the other things that get rinsed off during construction.

I had hoped our winter rains would have gotten rid of any stuff leached in the soil.

I'm wording if I significantly changed the PH.

I picked up one of those electronic PH testers....I don't see any difference in readings no mater what I do.

My next thought is to pick up a soil test kit.

Any good ways to figure out what is causing my problems?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 202

I'm a few miles up the road from you, Michigan, but just wondering, Sir, did you cultivate the soil before laying the sod? I would, definitely, in this case. You probably have some high concentrations of lime wherever you rinsed out your buckets, and I saw and enjoyed a lot of your pictures, so know that you had a lot of foot traffic, at least in some areas, so the soil may be too compacted for the sod to take root? I believe that you are on the right track with soil sample analysis, but make sure that you get good results by taking them from areas other than where you were cleaning out buckets and so on. Here anyway, the county extension service will take them, as will several local nurseries, and while some of the information has been more than my little mind can handle, they always include a layman's version as well. Whenever I have collected samples, it has been from something like a couple of inches down, as that is where the roots will be, and from three or four separate spots mixed together, to avoid localized "contamination", whatever that may be.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 862

I'd say send off samples of your soil to a local agricultural extension for proper testing. Many agricultural schools offer this service, generally only costs $20 or so, and they'll send you a detailed report that tells you how to correct the condition for turfgrass. They are usually very happy to answer questions too. Google 'agricultural extension soil test' and you'll find a bunch of schools that do this.

Gypsum will definitely drop the pH of the soil, but that may not be the issue. Gypsum is used as a soil amendment in areas with acid soils.

Also, I see that you are in southern CA - how is the drought out there? If you haven't been able (or allowed) to water the sod regularly, you might be out of luck trying to get sod to stick.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 08-05-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,406

Speaking of drought, how hard is the ground.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Speaking of drought, how hard is the ground.?
My back yard is fine. Between the 2 story garage and huge avocado tree....it only gets about 5 hours of full sun a day.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
My back yard is fine. Between the 2 story garage and huge avocado tree....it only gets about 5 hours of full sun a day.
How much water does it get? Sod needs regular watering for about a month before it gets established. And are you sure that it is actually dying? Water stressed grass will generally go dormant (turn yellow) until it gets sufficient water.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement