Termination For Driveway Trench Drain - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Termination for driveway trench drain

I'm replacing an older outlet pipe from my driveway trench drain that exits into my backyard. I had to dig up the last 20 feet of pipe and replace it as it was clogged/damaged.

I want to bring it farther out closer to the tree line but I'm not sure how to end it. We have a lot of critters (mainly chipmunks) that always go up into open pipes. Would some type of leech system be better or should I just end it with the pipe sticking out of the ground with some type of screen/grate over it?

Thanks!
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,522

Re: Termination for driveway trench drain

My lo-tech approach is to dig a hole at the end of the drain pipe. Size pending amount of water you are expecting. Then back fill the hole with golf ball sized stone (#3 washed if you can get it).

A drywell would be better but more involved. Screen over the outlet probably isn't good idea. There is a device called a back water valve that would allow the water to flow thru, then close to prevent the chipmunks. Its not designed for this purpose, but it seams like it might fit your needs.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
Maine1 (07-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,276

Put something like this on the end.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Maine1 (07-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 99

Thanks for the help!

One other question.. Is it OK to step the line down with an elbow so I can get it running lower? I want to extend the entire length of the run but I would need to step it down or else it will be above ground near the end (its on a hill).
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
Thanks for the help!

One other question.. Is it OK to step the line down with an elbow so I can get it running lower? I want to extend the entire length of the run but I would need to step it down or else it will be above ground near the end (its on a hill).
In heavy rain that might back it up and give it place to plug with garbage. as well as holding a little water for freezing.
Stop short and fill the trench with stone to where it comes out at the surface, with fabric or poly under the stone so dirt does not wash away. That would want a wider trench at the end.

Last edited by Nealtw; 07-02-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

As Yodaman said, a drywell would be better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-24-i...AS24/100377387

Use that.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
Thanks for the help!

Ayuh,..... I'm guessin' yer workin' with Pvc pipe,..?? 4",..??

If so, 3" or 4" won't matter, 'cept how ya connect,....
From the end of the pipe, where ever ya choose, Switch to 4" corrugated drainage tile,.....
Run is as far as ya care too, so long as downhill,.....
Step-downs won't matter, step-ups are a no-no,....
Daylight it at the bottom of a pit, say a foot deep on the high side, 'n nearly drainin' on the low side,....
Then fill the pit in with as bigga stones as you can manage, along with a buncha fist-sized stones,.....

The only draw-back is that in 20 years or so, tree roots will fill the tile, 'n you'll need to redo the task,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement