To Tarp Backyard Area Or Not/?? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By Old Thomas

Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

To tarp backyard area or not/??

The backyard is bare and I'm thinking about putting down some stone in order to make it more attractive.

I was thinking about putting down a tarp before laying down the stones but my friend advise me not to.

That a tarp won't prevent weeds from popping up.

But I'm thinking if the tarp is laid down correctly this should prevent weeds from growing?

Or am I wrong?

Thanks
ken33xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 762

Re: To tarp backyard area or not/??

The tarp will stop weeds until they start to grow above it. The tarp will also prevent the ground from soaking up rain water.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,974

If you have a real landscape supply store around you talk to them. Mine sells to all of the city road departments as well as to the public. But they have and know which landscape fabric you be using.

Bud
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 896

Use a product like Typar. It prevents below grade weeds from growing through but it allows water to soak through.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 410

Use of landscape fabric prevents a lot of weeds, but nothing will stop some from growing sideways underneath until popping up or growing on dirt collected above it and rooting through it. So it boils down to personal choice with maintenance. Without it's easier to pull weeds and clean the rocks but needs constant attention and foot traffic will push the rocks into the soil. With it needs little attention but when you do it's more difficult to pull weeds and eventually the rocks will be sitting in dirt and junk that's hard to remove, and foot traffic can slide the rocks around exposing bare spots.

If you choose to use a fabric do not use a tarp. Use a landscape fabric, but you get what you pay for. Look for the thicker non-woven ones that actually say "geotextile."
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 90

I use a torch on a propane tank to burn weeds when the grandkids are coming over. Otherwise it is Roundup.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #7
Naildriver

Roundup is not what I would want my grandkids to be frolicking in while playing in a yard that I just applied it to. Judicious application of Roundup is good. Spraying is overkill. We had the University of Georgia Extension Service do a field day with students on our property to rid the fence line of Japanese Honeysuckle. They actually used small artists paint brushes and touched one leaf on each vine. Total eradication and no overspray. Total use of product....about a quart among 6 students. I was pleased.
Msradell and Nik333 like this.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

O.k perhaps it's best to put the stones down without the use of landscape fabric.

The property is a rental and the area is behind an RV gate. Vehicles at time parked in back
ken33xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Roundup is not what I would want my grandkids to be frolicking in while playing in a yard that I just applied it to. Judicious application of Roundup is good. Spraying is overkill. We had the University of Georgia Extension Service do a field day with students on our property to rid the fence line of Japanese Honeysuckle. They actually used small artists paint brushes and touched one leaf on each vine. Total eradication and no overspray. Total use of product....about a quart among 6 students. I was pleased.
If I had some free student help that would be fun. At my farm I mix 50 gallons of roundup and use a boom sprayer to spray all the gravel driveways.
Msradell likes this.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,022

The landscape supply houses here sell a real heavy fabric 12 ft wide to put under gravel driveways. It's black and feels like fibreglass mat but I don't know what it is made of.
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #11
Naildriver

It wasn't so much "free" student help as it was a learning curve for me. I won't argue with the indiscriminate spraying of products like Roundup, once I found out a better way of doing it. I don't worry too much about vegetation in our 1/4 mile drive way. It dies in the winter and doesn't make a big difference in the summer.

I've got too many fruit trees and vines to allow spraying of Roundup and worry about keeping the fruit safe to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement