Sump Discharge Line Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Sump discharge line question

Hello,

We live in a flatish area in northern Illinois. Our basement sump pump discharges into corrugated 4" black plastic tubing, that runs off about 70 feet toward the edge of the property, where the grade is about 1-2 feet lower than at the foundation. I've never found an actual discharge, so I think it just discharges underground, perhaps into a gravel field. Anyway, the tubing has disintegrated (chipmunks, roots) to the point where I think the water is basically being discharged within a few feet of the foundation, and working its way back to the sump.

We got a recommendation to replace the tubing with solid 4" PVC, running the 70 feet and terminating into a grated-top drain box, about 12" on a side. The box would have a few perforations, and be in a thin bed of gravel. In times of light discharge, the water would seep from the box into the ground. In wetter times, the water would overflow the box through the grating, and seep into the surrounding landscape.

My questions are:

1) does this scheme make sense

2) we have an HE furnace, which generates lots of water into the sump. That will keep the sump discharging several times per day even in the dead of winter . I imagine this will create a glacier at the output. Does anyone with an HE furnace have experience with a discharge system described above?

Thanks much,
Pat
pnorman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: Sump discharge line question

Is there enough grade to drain to 'daylight' so that the pipe empties completely?

If water can sit in the pipe--it will freeze. It's Illinois.

The schedule 40 PVC pipe is a good plan---It need only be buried deep enough to cover with soil so grass will grow.

Be sure that the 1 1/2" discharge pipe 'free falls' into the 4" ground drain--just in case the ground drain does freeze --the water can overflow the drain and not jam up the pump.
pnorman55 (03-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

you go mike..well put...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,182

We have an HE furnace with the condensate going into the sump and discharging about 30' to the tree line. We have cold winters most often with heavy snow cover and have not experienced a problem at the outlet. If it's below freezing and no snow I've not observed ice build-up at the outlet and assume under snow there is a degree of insulation.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
pnorman55 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

Since you say the 4" PVC can be shallow, we probably do have enough grade to discharge to daylight.

The guy who recommended this wasn't going to do a free-fall into the ground drain, but a "Y" junction with a grated cap sticking up.

So far we've had 4 alternatives:

1) a contractor wants to do as I first described, the 4" PVC line into a 1 cu ft. drain box. That's 7.5 gallons, which would fill within 20 minutes in the Spring. To recap, he says it would seep into the ground, except in wet conditions when it would overflow onto the surface.

2) a fried who does landscape for business, government, and residences suggests a 30' french drain, about 3' deep.

3) Another landscaper suggested a 60' x 4" PVC line to daylight.

4) And my municipal code says connect to the storm drain when possible. There is one, but another 70' away, for 140' of run. And I have no idea if tearing up pavement would be required, and other headaches like a streetlamp and mailbox right next to it would be a show-stopper.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
pnorman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

How much water gets pumped out when the wet season is upon us---???

Obviously, the water needs a place to go---a small amount can be absorbed by the lawn--a medium amount into a french drain (or your drain box) and a high volume needs to go to the storm drain or ditch.

I live very close to the Fox River--my pumps work non stop during the spring floods--so the pipes all head to the ditch--

Not sure exactly what you meant by a Y fitting---

free fall drains are rather like a faucet dumping into a sink---the ground drain (4") is fitted with a 90 and a 4 to 5 inch bell reducer--this is the sink--

Above this receptor would be the 1 1/2" sump exit pipe--fitted with a 90 and a short pipe--stopping a bit above the receptor--so that ,if the receptor freezes up ,the tip of the exit pipe is above the ice.
Advertisement

Tags
drainage , he furnace , sump drain