Storing 2 Stroke Gas Equipment In Tool Shed - Fuel Line Deterioration Possible? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By jmon
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 04-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 417

Storing 2 stroke gas equipment in tool shed - Fuel line deterioration possible?

Some folks say keeping 2-stroke garden equipment like trimmer, blower, etc. in a tool shed will eventually cause the weak plastic fuel lines to deteriorate over time due to high heat accumulated in the tool shed.

Any ideas or suggestions on this?
joemc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,234

Re: Storing 2 stroke gas equipment in tool shed - Fuel line deterioration possible?

It isn't from storing them in a shed. It is from the inherent properties of the fuel (eg. ethanol, oil, gas, etc.) Fuel line changes in 2 cycle items happens every few years, and more often if you use ethanol gas. Luckily there are kits that help with the threading of the tubing.
Bondo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,186

Re: Storing 2 stroke gas equipment in tool shed - Fuel line deterioration possible?

I don't know the science behind it. It's possible I guess. Depends on who you ask.

I've kept mine in the shed for years, never had any problems with fuel line deterioration. However, you are located in sunny ca., I'm located in upstate NY. So I don't have the constant heat you do. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Bondo likes this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,..... Nothin' lasts forever,....

Plastic gas lines seem to last up to 10 years, no matter what ya do,.....
The little primer bulbs, some what less time,....
jmon likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... Nothin' lasts forever,....

Plastic gas lines seem to last up to 10 years, no matter what ya do,.....
The little primer bulbs, some what less time,....

Rubber fuel lines in a car can deteriorate and harden over time with heat. Not sure about the plastic fuel lines. Although would be plenty enough if can get 8-10 years.

Ya guess the primer bulb is what would wear out sooner... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
It isn't from storing them in a shed. It is from the inherent properties of the fuel (eg. ethanol, oil, gas, etc.) Fuel line changes in 2 cycle items happens every few years, and more often if you use ethanol gas. Luckily there are kits that help with the threading of the tubing.
Yeah fuel itself is another factor. And hearing fuel line issues from this more than any other reasons.

Btw, which is a good reliable source for better fuel line like the Tygon fuel line?

And why won't manufacturers put better fuel line, etc. in the equipment to work with fuel that has ethanol? How much more would this cost them?

BTW, I'm sort of storing the garden equipment in upright positions with the engine at the bottom (trimmer/blower/chainsaw). The orientation shouldn't really matter?

There's slow oil leak from the chainsaw, and I don't see anyway to stop that. Or there's a way?

Last edited by joemc3; 04-23-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

A lot also depends on the type of shed and/or how it's constructed. Metal sheds with no ventilation heat up the most.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Btw, which is a good reliable source for better fuel line like the Tygon fuel line?
Ayuh,.... I buy a couple feet at a time, in whatever diameter I need from a local small engine repair shop,.....
Quote:
There's slow oil leak from the chainsaw, and I don't see anyway to stop that. Or there's a way?
Nope,.... The bar oil seeps out through the oil pump, 'n feed path,.....
Quite normal,....
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,168

Most if not all chain says seep chain oil (Stihl certainly does). I keep mine in the plastic case it came with. We have some puppy training pads (to absorb 'moisture' from bedding) left over and I cut up some pieces and line the bottom of the case. It helps when I clean out the bottom of the case.
joemc3 likes this.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #9
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,986

I stopped using blended fuels in my 2-stroke equipment.

I now use a pre-blended mixture called Trufuel. It uses enthanol-free gasoline and is already precisely blended with the oil.

Since switching to Trufuel, I have noticed a significant improvement in the performance of the trimmer and blower and smoother operation.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

I mix my own 2 cycle fuel BUT I do seek out one of the stations that sell ethanol free gas for my small engines.
BayouRunner likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #11

Ayuh,..... Ethanol free is fairly common 'round here now a days,......

It's All I buy,......
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #12

Can't find any gas stations with ethanol-free gas within the nearest 300 miles. Have to get to HD to get the Trufuel at a high price I don't prefer... .

I use premium brand gas from gas station plus Marine Stab-Bil. So far works out ok but the equipment has been around for just 3 years.

Looking for stations that sell aircraft fuel... .
Old 04-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,858

I use Stabil in my 4 and 2 stroke fuel and have good performance from it. I have a 2 stroke Echo ES 2100 blower/shredder that is 12 years old and never replaced the fuel lines on it to date. I am putting a new primer bulb on it this week finally as the OEM finally split open.

My experience has been if trying to keep oil mixed fuel to use over a couple of months old treated or not, you will be risking poor performance. So I keep fresh 89 octane fuel in a five gallon can with Stabil in it, and use it to mix my 2 stroke fuel in a one gallon can only. It never sits over a month before it gets used up.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 04-26-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #14
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemc3 View Post
Can't find any gas stations with ethanol-free gas within the nearest 300 miles. Have to get to HD to get the Trufuel at a high price I don't prefer... .

I use premium brand gas from gas station plus Marine Stab-Bil. So far works out ok but the equipment has been around for just 3 years.

Looking for stations that sell aircraft fuel... .
Same problem here. However, I rather pay the higher price for Trufuel than the cost of repairing or replacing equipment damaged by ethanol.

If you have a marina nearby you might want to check them out. It is my understanding that marinas sell non-ethanol fuel.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement