Sprinkler System Leak In Connection - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 198

Sprinkler System leak in connection

Hello everyone..when the sprinkler is facing up and the arm on the left is down..water runs out of the arm and doesn't stop. The only way I can get it to stop is lifting the arm up which then has the sprinkler on it's side..I there an elbow or something I should get? Also if I do put an elbow or another connector between the arm and sprinkler will this decrease in water flow be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
KrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Don't know what you have. Is it a sprinkler system with a timer, pop up heads and valve boxes with solenoids.
Or
Is it a watering device on the end of a hose?
Post a photo of the device for some help, so we can see what you have.
Short answer: if it's a device at the end of a hose. Get another one. Parts will not be available for repair unless it's a very pricy one.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

My apologies seems as if picture did not upload. I have a 9 zone system with about 3-4 sprinklers per zone surrounding my house. This is running off of a
hydro-saver proline automatic controller.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinkler System leak in connection-sprinkler-head.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Okay, I see it now. Looks like you have poly pipe connected to the head. The poly pipe looks kinked/twisted. Replace the poly pipe with some rigid sections.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

sorry not 100% sure what you mean? Should I cut the poly pipe eliminating the elbow in between the sprinkler base and poly pipe and then put a straight connector in between sprinkler base and poly pipe making it stand up straight? I was also wondering why the
poly pipe is squirting out water when laid down (sprinkler facing up) parallel next to main pipe. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 210

There's a threaded fitting in the gray tee. When you move the assembly you are tightening the fitting and the leak stops.

If it didn't leak before and nothing was moved, my guess is the fitting might be cracked.

Try turning the whole assembly one full turn so the fitting gets tight and the sprinkler head is in the proper position.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #7

It looks like the poly pipe is just pushed into the gray fitting.
The gray fitting, as was said, is threaded. Either 1/2" or 3/4". The thread going into the sprinkler head is either 1/2" or 3/4". Go to the irrigation store or a big box store and pick up:
Short threaded pipe3-4" long with the gray fitting size
Get a longer piece for the head.
Pick up an "L" threaded piece to put them together.
Look at a few You tube videos to get familiar with the parts and process.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

Thanks guys I will take fitting out and sees what happens..attached is the pic of the assembly (pipe) when it is laying down. It shows the water coming out of the hole even when the zone is not running.
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinkler System leak in connection-water-coming-out.jpg  
Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

You can take the whole section you're removing to the store and get parts that recreate what you need. Even the guys at Home Depot should be able to do that.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #10

Thanks..when I take the assembly out where the Tee is on the grey connector water is still coming out from there when I changed other heads on other zones water wasn't coming out from them.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

You have a valve problem if the hole you are referring to is the part that the head screws into.

Is this head the first head in the zone or the lowest one?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Okay, I see it now. Looks like you have poly pipe connected to the head. The poly pipe looks kinked/twisted. Replace the poly pipe with some rigid sections.

I don't know how replacing a section is going to stop water from draining out...

If this is a low spot in the run, gravity will take any remaining water that is in the line to this spot.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #13

Do you know where your valve box is?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
I don't know how replacing a section is going to stop water from draining out...

If this is a low spot in the run, gravity will take any remaining water that is in the line to this spot.
From the information supplied at that point, that was the advice. No mention of an entire zone leaking. It was one head. Water can leak out of one head on a zone if the parts have been damaged or not put in correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
KrisK (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Do you know where your valve box is?
Sadly I do not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement