Sprinkler Pipe That Doesn't Suck - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Sprinkler pipe that doesn't suck

We live in Phoenix and our sprinkler system is about 15 years old. The PVC pipe is splitting and cracking at various spots around the yard and I'm tired of chasing down leaks. So, time for a new sprinkler system.

However, I don't want to replace the system every 15-20 years -- I want to do it once and, save for the occasional failed head here and there, don't want to have to worry about it again. The landscapers around here shrug their shoulders and say 15-20 years is about what you can expect. I am hoping there's a different option.

So: is there sprinkler pipe out there that doesn't suck? Thick wall schedule 80 PVC? Metal? I don't see commercial buildings replacing their sprinkler systems very often - what do they use?

I'm quite willing to pay a premium for higher quality materials. Suggestions welcome.
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 824

Re: Sprinkler pipe that doesn't suck

I'm sure the issue in your area is the high ground temperatures that occurred during the summer. That combined with the cold nights you get put a lot of strain on the pipe over time. Are all of your leaks in the PVC portion of your system? Do you have the black risers that come off as a PVC to connect to the heads? I'm wondering if that black pipe would be more durable in the long run?
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Are all of your leaks in the PVC portion of your system?

Yes, other than the actual dripper heads failing/falling out. But the only pipes leaking are the PVC ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Do you have the black risers that come off as a PVC to connect to the heads? I'm wondering if that black pipe would be more durable in the long run?

Yes, I do. What is that material and why would it be more durable? (not disagreeing - just seeking to understand)
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,110

I didn't know people used PVC for sprinkler pipe. HDPE would be what I'd expect to use.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,238

the correct pipe to use for inground irrigation is the 3/4" black Polyethylene Tubing.
there is also a family of fittings to go with the system - none are PVC.
when installed correctly, it will last WAY longer than PVC and even cost less
than PVC in the long run
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinkler pipe that doesn't suck-irrigation.jpg  

Last edited by Johnny_inFL; 08-30-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Johnny_inFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement