Sprinkler Controller Has Loose Wire - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Sprinkler Controller Has Loose Wire

My question today is about wiring. Controller box fell off the wall, and there's a black wire dangling. It is thicker than the smaller zone wires. Thing is I don't know if it came out of it the controller box or not and if sowhere from. Can you guys look over this wiring and let me know if I need to re-attach it somewhere and if so where?

If it's not supposed to be re-attached then I would like to test it with a meter to see if it's powered. How would I test it considering it is by itself?

Love2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 428

Re: Sprinkler Controller Has Loose Wire

That is your ground wire, and judging from it's appearance, it has never been attached.

Does the system function correctly?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

It used to then we had some ...Most of the sections with bad sprinklers and we just switched it off. Then the controller fell off the wall. Whether this wire was attached or not i don't know. We had a bad leak so I just replaced a valve and before putting the soil back want to test it for leaks but I don't know what to make of this wire.

Is it normal for ground wires to be attached to controllers, and if so where?

Looking at the controller does it look like its wired in the normal way as you would expect to find it if you walk up to it?

Last edited by Love2519; 12-05-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 428

It appears correct, the digital clock is still working, so the ground does nothing.

Run it through a cycle for the zone that you worked on and see how it works.

It's winter time so draining the system is necessary, in most of the country by now. So careful that you don't ruin whatever is left working by leaving any water behind.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Ok will do. Talking about draining the system....

First I am in Dallas TX. We don't have crazy winters here and plumbers say lines are 2 ft under ground they don't freeze. But there are points which are closer to the ground such as solenoid boxes and the lines thereof. Couple of times in a winter though we do get to 32 and upper 20's, so it's still ok to make precautionary steps.

1/
Saw these automatic drains, sounds like a good idea but is it?

2/
If I shut off the sprinkler supply valves, turn on the sprinkler will the system broadcast whatever is left in the lines, at least to the point where the pressurization is relieved from inside the pipes?

Last edited by Love2519; 12-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,794

Ayuh,... My WAGuess is, that black wire goes in the black contact clip in yer 1st picture, right 'tween the blue clips, 'n white clips,...
Looks like a little sticker above it sayin' so,...

While black is ground in car wirin',...
Black is the (+) hot lead in household wirin',....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2519 View Post
Ok will do. Talking about draining the system....

First I am in Dallas TX. We don't have crazy winters here and plumbers say lines are 2 ft under ground they don't freeze. But there are points which are closer to the ground such as solenoid boxes and the lines thereof. Couple of times in a winter though we do get to 32 and upper 20's, so it's still ok to make precautionary steps.

1/
Saw these automatic drains, sounds like a good idea but is it?

2/
If I shut off the sprinkler supply valves, turn on the sprinkler will the system broadcast whatever is left in the lines, at least to the point where the pressurization is relieved from inside the pipes?

I live in MI, so everything freezes over here and we have to completely blow out the lines. I have never used the drains because I do not trust anything but compressed air.

As to your question #2, you will not remove any water from the lines if you turn off the main supply, since without pressure you will have no flow. There is not enough pressure left in lines to do anything. They will not even pop up.

Also, I agree that it looks like a ground. With the controller unplugged, I would see if that wire has continuity to the ground eyelet inside the controller. If so, I bet that was supposed to be connected to a water pipe as a ground and never connected.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 590

You might try shutting off the water supply....reach in each valve box and open via whatever method is used, to start irrigation without power. Then activate your timer stations, one by one, for a few seconds. Any water in the electric valve should drain out. Close the valves and insulate the boxes. I don't drain...I use common fiberglass in a waterproof plastic bag...and stuff plenty into each box.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cedrus For This Useful Post:
Love2519 (12-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement