Sodding Over Existing Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 340

sodding over existing grass

I've got some slight grading issues in my backyard, plus some areas that need to be sodded. Rather that dig swales, I figure I can sod, but leave a wide gap where I want the water to flow.

But is it bad practice to sod over existing bermuda? And might me doing this create little "cliffs" with edges, or might it fill in and naturally smooth?

Finally - would a hunk of sod be high enough to raise the land and create the swale effect?

Thanks!
Dan
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
I've got some slight grading issues in my backyard, plus some areas that need to be sodded. Rather that dig swales, I figure I can sod, but leave a wide gap where I want the water to flow.

But is it bad practice to sod over existing bermuda? And might me doing this create little "cliffs" with edges, or might it fill in and naturally smooth?

Finally - would a hunk of sod be high enough to raise the land and create the swale effect?

Thanks!
Dan
Just use good ole dirt that's capable of growing grass to elevate . Your grass will grow right up through a foot of it.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 05-04-2015 at 05:07 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,652

Sod over existing sod is going to give you mixed results. Expect a substantial portion of it to die off.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 543

Echo PoleCat. AND, whenever laying sod, you need to buttress the edges with either soil, or some other material, such as edging. If you don't the edge of the sod will dry out and die, no matter how much water you throw on it.

Normally, you avoid this situation by butting the sod to other sod. In existing turf areas, this means preparing an edge in the existing sod that the new sod can meet.
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Just use good ole dirt that's capable of growing grass to elevate . Your grass will grow right up through a foot of it.
yeah, it probably will, some day. i put 1-2" of dirt over grass on my side yard, last year. still no grass, but the weeds like.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yeah, it probably will, some day. i put 1-2" of dirt over grass on my side yard, last year. still no grass, but the weeds like.
What was the grass species?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
What was the grass species?
hell if i know. its the green stuff
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #8

The species of the OP has both Rhizomes and Stolons that contribute to reproduction both sub surface and at the surface. It's a tuff turf grass but gardeners hate it for those two reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement