Is This Sod Completely Dead? Any Hope? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?

Our sod went from looking green and beautiful, to brown and rotted looking in a matter of months.

We're not sure what happened... The weeks following its installation were pretty rainy and the ground was soggy, so maybe this is the result of over watering.

There is a little bit of actual green grass growing in bits and places, but otherwise it's pretty much gone/wilted. We're in the Seattle area and the grass is most likely Perennial Ryegrasses type.

Any hope for this sod? Can it be re-seeded or somehow salvaged?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?-wp_20140918_001.jpg   Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?-wp_20150218_002-1280x721-.jpg   Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?-wp_20150218_001-721x1280-.jpg  
kanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,.... It's February,....yer lawn ain't dead, unless it looks like that in May,....

Sprinkle some seed on it in April, 'n it'll be fine,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,995

Don't know your weather patterns but like Bondo, I pretty sure it isn't the growing season there. If it was kept watered until first hard frost it should come back. If it is dry (dry in Seattle?) in the early spring water it.

If all your neighbors have green and you have brown with the same exposure then it is time to worry.

Edit: If you see signs of life a light feeding with a weak balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 should perk it right up.

Last edited by Colbyt; 02-19-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

We're in the Evergreen state, so the grass generally stays green all winter long, just doesn't grow as fast as in spring/summer. What we have with this new sod is definitely not the norm for this time of year, and that's why I worry. There is no shortage of watering in the winter/fall months with our climate, and it was a very mild winter with little frost/freezing temperatures.

Thanks for the tips on fertilizer, will give it a try. What the best way to go about reseeding? Just sprinkle some new seeds or aerate what's there first?
kanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,995

I'm sure others will reply and even disagree. I grew up on a farm and was taught that tiny seeds like lettuce and grass are always sown on top of the ground and lightly tamped. Never rake or try to cover with dirt after sowing,

Grass seed must be in contact with dirt in order to germinate so in your case a light raking with a leaf rake before sowing. This will also help you figure out dormant or dead.

Regardless of the state nickname, I don't really believe you have an active growing season that far north right now. My newly seed grass (9-14) which was quite beautiful before it got cold is a rather discouraging shade of brown right now. I'm been around this track enough to not be discouraged. In about a month I will be cussing the green.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanat View Post
We're in the Evergreen state, so the grass generally stays green all winter long, just doesn't grow as fast as in spring/summer. What we have with this new sod is definitely not the norm for this time of year, and that's why I worry. There is no shortage of watering in the winter/fall months with our climate, and it was a very mild winter with little frost/freezing temperatures.

Thanks for the tips on fertilizer, will give it a try. What the best way to go about reseeding? Just sprinkle some new seeds or aerate what's there first?
Ayuh,.... It's still Winter,...

Plants react to Daylight,.... the length of day,....

As you said, ya don't mow the lawn, it's dormant,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

My family and I owned and operated a sod farm for close to 40 years and I will say I have seen sod get through some pretty extreme circumstances, was the sod completely covered by water? if so how long? is it rooted in at all to find out just try and lift a corner gently if it won't lift it has put down some roots. if you get down on your knees and smell the sod does it stink like its rotten?
furbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 58

How many dogs do you have??? I'm in a different climate (Texas) but ryegrass is a cool season grass and should not, in my experience, be dormant in winter. There's a lot of what looks like debris in the pics... what's that?

Yes, it can be reseeded but check with your local nursery for the best time to do that. Aeration is not going to help with seed germination, just seed/soil contact and proper temperatures, assuming adequate water is available.

I just feel that there's something to this puzzle we're not hearing, why I asked about dogs. New sod won't tolerate wear & tear if it's getting a lot of traffic, of any kind.
BradMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #9

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

What was done to prepare the soil before sod was laid down? If the soil was hard and compacted, and especially if it was clay, it's possible the sod just never "took" and roots weren't able to penetrate poor soil.

The third photo suggests that there's a variety of small (dead) debris on the lawn, which may be the result of the dead sod or of something that was there before the sod was laid. If it was there before and died, the soil quality might be the critical factor.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement