Shed Ramps - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 2 Post By Larryh86GT
  • 1 Post By l008com
  • 1 Post By Mike Milam

Old 09-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 622
Send a message via AIM to l008com
Question

Shed Ramps

This is technically more of a carpentry question (though not really) than a landscaping question. But that said, this still feels like the right place to post this thread, in spirit!

So I have a 10x10 shed. Previous owner let it sit in the dirt directly and get infested with weeds and bugs. I have since jacked it up, cleaned it out, removed all the weeds, and the bugs have gone away. But the floor and siding is so rotted that it's really not worth fixing. It needs so much, it will be easier and much better to build a whole new shed from scratch.

The point of all that is just that this shed is very much temporary. So I don't want to build a real, nice ramp for it. Also the ramp would be a pain to mow/weed wack around. The floor is now about 15" off the ground i'd estimate. Its not easy getting my heavy wheeled stuff in and out. Especially my snow blower.

So heres my thinking, are there some cheap metal ramps I could use? Something that's 2 parts, that I could hang on the walls and just toss in place real quick when I want to get something in or out, then hang back up on the wall? Something not too expensive, ideally.

Note: the 'good wood' at the bottom is a big 4x6 that the super rotten floor of the shed is just sitting right on top of. The plywood on the floor is covering a hole in the real plywood floor.

I didn't expect this shed to last this long, but it really stopped deteriorating when I jacked it up. But still as I said, definitely not worth salvaging. I'll have plenty of chiminea firewood for a while though
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,838

Re: Shed Ramps

The aluminum ramps made for loading onto pickups should work but would likely be longer than you need. You'd just need to figure out the best way to hook them in place.
IMO it's not a big deal to weed eat around a permanent ramp.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,550

When I was still a pup I built my lawn tractor ramps so it was mostly a carpentry question except for the 10 ga. steel floor plate I made the ramp ends of, but sure you can purchase aluminum ramps that will work for your purpose.

Aluminum ramp ends are available if you decide to build.
Attached Images

Mike Milam likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
When I was still a pup I built my lawn tractor ramps so it was mostly a carpentry question except for the 10 ga. steel floor plate I made the ramp ends of, but sure you can purchase aluminum ramps that will work for your purpose.

That could work, where would you find ramp ends like that? And would a 1 by something board be strong enough to hold a snow blower at say 4' length? Im sure it would have no problem holding mowers and wheel barrows etc.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
...IMO it's not a big deal to weed eat around a permanent ramp.

It's not the deciding factor, but it's just one more reason I want something removable for now. Plus I don't even know if the new shed will be the same height. I like the idea above though, I may go with that.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
That could work, where would you find ramp ends like that? And would a 1 by something board be strong enough to hold a snow blower at say 4' length? Im sure it would have no problem holding mowers and wheel barrows etc.
If you notice the 2x2s [?] under the ramp boards in post #3 - they are there to make the board more rigid giving it more strength to handle heavier loads.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Ramp ends are available at some automotive retailers, some Lowe's and Homedepot as well as possibly order through Ace or True Value hardware plus there is always ebay if you can tolerate their system.

2 x lumber is what I would use even if only 4' long. The purchased ramp ends will be made for 2" lumber.

If you will be inclined to walk on them, I would tack some hardware cloth ( hail screen ) on top for traction, especially in snowy weather. A strip 6 inches wide is good enough.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 230

Here is an easy and simple ramp: A couple of door hinges, a piece
of 3/4 plywood and a pull strap. It's worked well for me for years.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen and l008com like this.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,912

Northern Tool, Harbour Freight, Amazon, anyplace that sells trailer supply's will have those end pieces, and folding or one piece ramps.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
Here is an easy and simple ramp: A couple of door hinges, a piece
of 3/4 plywood and a pull strap. It's worked well for me for years.
Something like this is ultimately what I do want to make actually! But because of the height of mine, it may not be as easy to build one like this. But that's wayyyy down the line when the new shed is built.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #11

I never updated but I got the aluminum ramp ends at Lowes and used a pair of 2x8's, works plenty well enough. I drilled some 2" diameter holes every 6" down the middle to lighten them up a bit, to make them easier to hand, and to add a bit of extra traction. Was thinking I might put some long bevels down the length of the bottom of each ramp, just to lighten them up a bit more.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post

I have a pair like this I built for a shed ramp 10 years ago. I used 2X8's for mine and they carried my riding mower just fine. After it was in, I picked them up and stood them just inside the door. Got the end kit from Home Depot.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,998

I have a permanent ramp on my shed.

It was built by lag screwing a 2x6 to the rim joist making sure it was low enough so the ramp surface will not interfere with the door.

There are three 2x6 stingers cut to facilitate the angle needed secured with to the joist with hangers.

There is 2x6 horizontal bracing between the stringers The lower end of the ramp sits on three landscaping concrete slabs from the home center.

I initially used pressure treated plywood for the surface but it turned out to be a mistake as the edges are splintering. I will soon be changing it for 5/4 decking boards.

The whole thing took me about 2 hours to build and easily handles my riding mower with me on it..., and I am not a petite person.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement