Serious Lawn Drainage Issue. Please Help! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 12-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Serious lawn drainage issue. Please help!

So, my yard is a mess. I have read so many different articles on here and I am trying to figure out some cost efficient ways that I can fix this yard myself or at least improve it. I know it is a grading issue and I am pretty sure my neighbors yards are both grades towards my lawn.

There are some ďdry wellsĒ that are the lawn and gutters that are attached to dry-Wells as well. The minute I ran water down one of the gutters the yard started to swell up with water. If Iím not mistaken, that shouldnít happen right? I thought dry wells should be dug to the water bed of the ground? I have put some pics of where I standing water, and it is really bad and I am curious if a simple DIY French drain would help.

Also a spot right off the right side of our concrete pad out back, the ground gets extremely extremely soft and wet and the water almost takes forever to drain. There is also black, almost mold that is growing in the lawn, I assume from sitting water?

I am just trying to find a few options and something I can do to save some money and not pay the 4,500-6k people are quoting me.

I thank anyone and everyone who helps with this!

Supposed dry well and yes the lid is usually on.

Worst part of the yard. In between my neighbors house and mine. Water will sit above ground for up to 24 hours sometimes.

Another view in between my house and the neighbors. Plenty of clearance under the fence.

Almost like a black mold in the yard?

Area where water sits off the right of our concrete pad. The of is also sinking and needs to be redone.

Thanks again everyone!

-Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jetblack14316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,208

Re: Serious lawn drainage issue. Please help!

A dry well only works if the water has somewhere to go. I would start with a hole much like a perk test. You might have clay layer stopping the water from draining or you could have a water table right at the surface. If you dig a hole 2 or 3 ft deep that fills up and stays full a French drain may not help.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
A dry well only works if the water has somewhere to go. I would start with a hole much like a perk test. You might have clay layer stopping the water from draining or you could have a water table right at the surface. If you dig a hole 2 or 3 ft deep that fills up and stays full a French drain may not help.

Okay! Thanks a lot. So...

The hole test just tells me if my lawn is suited for that type do drain. Also, what if I do have a bunch of clay, I canít really do anything about that right? Just SOL?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack14316 View Post
Okay! Thanks a lot. So...

The hole test just tells me if my lawn is suited for that type do drain. Also, what if I do have a bunch of clay, I canít really do anything about that right? Just SOL?

When I was working we built lots of subdivision houses, dirt is dug up foundation put in and back filled with what ever dirt that is laying around.
Landscapers come in with a few inches of black stuff they call top soil usually a mix of rotting sawdust and sand and lay sod.
You have nothing in the top 6 to 12" that is natural so getting below that might give you a completely different soil type than what you can see on top

Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
When I was working we built lots of subdivision houses, dirt is dug up foundation put in and back filled with what ever dirt that is laying around.
Landscapers come in with a few inches of black stuff they call top soil usually a mix of rotting sawdust and sand and lay sod.
You have nothing in the top 6 to 12" that is natural so getting below that might give you a completely different soil type than what you can see on top

And if there is better soil underneath? How can I utilize that to assist me?

Old 12-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
And if there is better soil underneath? How can I utilize that to assist me?

If you find that is drains good at 18" or 2 ft or what ever that would be the depth of a French drain type system. There are different systems that might work for the yard but placing it in the right place, like not next to the house but first you find what you have.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
If you find that is drains good at 18" or 2 ft or what ever that would be the depth of a French drain type system. There are different systems that might work for the yard but placing it in the right place, like not next to the house but first you find what you have.

Okay! Thank you! Hopefully some more people chime in. Iím going to do this tomorrow and get back with you if you donít mind!

Old 12-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Okay! Thank you! Hopefully some more people chime in. Iím going to do this tomorrow and get back with you if you donít mind!

I would do a few holes around the yard and start at 12 inches and then go deeper and see if the perk gets better with depth.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Also, what if I do have a bunch of clay, I can’t really do anything about that right? Just SOL?
Ayuh,..... The very 1st thing to do is determine which way is Downhill,......

In yer 3rd picture, what's behind the gates,..??
Is that area flow away,..??

If so, lower what's beyond the gates, 'n raise the areas yer standin' in, to make the water flow out the gates,....

Water always flows Downhill, all by itself,.....
Dave Sal likes this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
I would do a few holes around the yard and start at 12 inches and then go deeper and see if the perk gets better with depth.

Okay! I will thank you so much.

Nealtw likes this.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... The very 1st thing to do is determine which way is Downhill,......

In yer 3rd picture, what's behind the gates,..??
Is that area flow away,..??

If so, lower what's beyond the gates, 'n raise the areas yer standin' in, to make the water flow out the gates,....

Water always flows Downhill, all by itself,.....

The other side of the fence is about 40 yards of lawn then the sidewalk out front. How do I lower it? Just get a bob cat an dig it out then lay new sod? Build up the areas with just dirt? Dirt and sand mixture?

Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,492

A dry well is much more than just a hole in the ground. Search Google Images. Not sure how to check if your "dry wells" actually go anywhere but I think you have already stated how effective they are.

I am with Bondo on this. Rainwater needs someplace to go, and since its a lot easier to make water go downhill than uphill, first step is to figure out the grade of the land and find someplace to drain to. A laser might help in mapping out grade height, but I have done it the old fashioned way, with wooden stakes, string-line and a line level.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
A dry well is much more than just a hole in the ground. Search Google Images. Not sure how to check if your "dry wells" actually go anywhere but I think you have already stated how effective they are.

I am with Bondo on this. Rainwater needs someplace to go, and since its a lot easier to make water go downhill than uphill, first step is to figure out the grade of the land and find someplace to drain to. A laser might help in mapping out grade height, but I have done it the old fashioned way, with wooden stakes, string-line and a line level.
String levels were good, hard to find one that measures level today.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,150

I would dig a small trench along the fence to the front of the house (assuming the grading goes down that way) and then install an appropriate length of drain pipe, either PVC or the expandable, flex type that can be stretched out and then install a channel drain in the spot where the water accumulates the most. I had a drainage issue on my driveway due to the edge of the driveway being raised up by a tree root. After installing the channel drain the problem is solved and the water can now flow to the street instead of flooding the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious lawn drainage issue. Please help!-dsc00619.jpg   Serious lawn drainage issue. Please help!-dsc00613.jpg   Serious lawn drainage issue. Please help!-dsc00618.jpg  
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 336

delete
Advertisement