Serious Drainage Issues - Need Help - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 68

Serious drainage issues - Need help

Hi all,
I have some serious drainage problems around my house. I have attached a some photos to try to illustrate the issue better. The main problem I am running into is finding somewhere for the water to go. I do not have much slope to work with to get the water to the street, so I don't think that option is possible.

The areas that I have problems with constantly stay wet. Only after a week or more without rain it will begin to dry. I tried a perc test hole in the middle of the back yard and it filled with water pretty quickly, therefore I do not believe a dry well is an option.

**House5.JPG is currently the way the water is flowing to the problem areas. House 6.JPG is my current idea for a solution

**Also the issue for the area in the house4.JPG is that I don't have much slope to work with. If I bury pipe to try to channel the water to the driveway, then the pipe would be lower than the driveway. I don't know if the water would continue to flow or just back up. Are there any above ground drainage solutions I could implement to direct the water to the driveway? Dry creek bed maybe?

I will post more detailed pics in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious drainage issues - Need help-house-1.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house3.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house4.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house5.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house6.jpg  

jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #2

More pics to show more detail. Keep in mind I live in Alabama so ignore the snow in the pictures. Just used these as they give a good idea of where the water is sitting after a heavy rain.

Thank you all for any help!!

**The first pic is where most of the water is coming from (the area in between the shrub beds). During heavy rains it literally gushing inbetween the pickets in the fence then flows to the low side of the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious drainage issues - Need help-house-detail1.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house-detail2.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house-detail3.jpg   Serious drainage issues - Need help-house-detail4.jpg  

Last edited by jabrock1; 03-24-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,170

Not quite clear in the pictures - you have gutters on both those sides of the house, right? In other words, we're talking about the rain falling on the ground only, the rain hitting the roof is already being diverted?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Not quite clear in the pictures - you have gutters on both those sides of the house, right? In other words, we're talking about the rain falling on the ground only, the rain hitting the roof is already being diverted?
Correct. I have gutters on all sides and the gutter water is being diverted as best as possible. The water causing the issues is flowing from the houses on the higher end of the street.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,170

Can you create a berm or something to divert that water before it really gets on your property?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Can you create a berm or something to divert that water before it really gets on your property?
In order to create a berm to divert the water I would have to build the land up against the bottom of the fence. Not sure that is the best way of doing it.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrock1 View Post
In order to create a berm to divert the water I would have to build the land up against the bottom of the fence. Not sure that is the best way of doing it.
Are yer arrows pointin' the way the water runs, or where it's comin' from,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

The arrows are showing how the water flows (blue arrows) to the spots where it is settling (red circles)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Im thinking of trying a shallow French drain. Im not sure if it will work though. Most all French drains I have read about are pretty deep. My problem is I cant go very deep because I will not be able run the pipe to daylight if I do (it will be below street level). I have a small amount of slope to work with, so I was thinking of digging a French/Trench drain that is just below the surface. I was wondering, if I do it this way I would not use pipe and just dig a shallow ditch to the street and fill with ditch with rock. Pretty much like a dry creek bed that is small, shallow and not decorative. Are there an issues with this? Any other suggestions?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,800

French drains can be as deep or as shallow as you want or need. If you dig one near the surface, you would fill it with very coarse gravel so people can't trip and fall into it and it will still carry water away. If it is at least 4 inches deep it can still make use of a perforated pipe.

There is an alternate definition of French drain that pertains to France as opposed to someone named French. The typical example was a slightly concave usually hard surfaced area around the perimeter of a building to serve as a drainage channel. The purpose was the same, to channel storm water to one or more corners or other lower ground. This is the degenerate form of the French drain that we all know about. This surface ditch or "dished area" must also discharge the water to someplace else perhaps with the aid of a pit (with limited permeability for possible incoming ground water) and sump pump.

"In order to create a berm to divert the water I would have to build the land up against the bottom of the fence. Not sure that is the best way of doing it. "
That is the only way of doing it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-26-2015 at 09:40 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
French drains can be as deep or as shallow as you want or need. If you dig one near the surface, you would fill it with very coarse gravel so people can't trip and fall into it and it will still carry water away. If it is at least 4 inches deep it can still make use of a perforated pipe.

There is an alternate definition of French drain that pertains to France as opposed to someone named French. The typical example was a slightly concave usually hard surfaced area around the perimeter of a building to serve as a drainage channel. The purpose was the same, to channel storm water to one or more corners or other lower ground. This is the degenerate form of the French drain that we all know about. This surface ditch or "dished area" must also discharge the water to someplace else perhaps with the aid of a pit (with limited permeability for possible incoming ground water) and sump pump.
How would the perforated pipe aid a French drain that is very shallow? Would the holes be pointed up? If they were pointed down in a shallow French drain it seems like the pipe would not be necessary.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

The pipe will carry away water faster than just rock or gravel.

The holes are still pointed down.

All French drains will lose some water to the ground directly below them when that ground is not saturated. This might aggravate basement flooding problems thus a bed of mulch or gravel up against the foundation and "below grade" is not a good idea.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The pipe will carry away water faster than just rock or gravel.

The holes are still pointed down.

All French drains will lose some water to the ground directly below them when that ground is not saturated. This might aggravate basement flooding problems thus a bed of mulch or gravel up against the foundation and "below grade" is not a good idea.
OK I got ya. I would not have the drain against the house. Planning to try to have it in between My house and the neighbors. May try to use some smaller diameter perforated PVC. The smallest I can find is 3". Do they make 2"?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 42

"If I bury pipe to try to channel the water to the driveway, then the pipe would be lower than the driveway. I don't know if the water would continue to flow or just back up."

French drain with a pop-up emitter for down-spouts out back perhaps. If your drain pipe slant goes to street surface level, the city should be willing to come out and drill a hole through the curb for you (usually for free, at least for me...).
matt-gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

Question: Can you achieve a continuous downhill slope for an underground pipe from the backyardthat ends next to your driveway just before the sidewalk where you have a flush covered "drain opening" (no popup or other moving parts) that the backyard water will come out of and run down the driveway surface from there?

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-26-2015 at 02:07 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement