Seeding New Lawn Questions - Orange County California - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell
  • 1 Post By DexterII

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Seeding New Lawn Questions - Orange County California

I am about to start a new lawn... I tilled up everything, added compost, and am ready to till again.

It sounds like now I just need to choose a seed (Probably go with Bermuda, or St. Agustine). Then I plan to lay the seed evenly, add a starter fertilizer, lightly tamp seeds with backside of leaf rake, and water. I dont plan on using a mulch or straw for errosion control since im flat. Does anyone have any tips or useful experiences they could share?
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,598

Re: Seeding New Lawn Questions - Orange County California

I like to see the seed rolled or tamped to force soil contact then top with a little compost ( bout an 1/8" ) and water with a fine mist if possible so not to disturb the seed cover.

Fertilizer, never felt it necessary at seeding time. If seed won't germinate and at least attempt to grow the soil needed attention long before seeding.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhollehday View Post
I am about to start a new lawn... I tilled up everything, added compost, and am ready to till again.

It sounds like now I just need to choose a seed (Probably go with Bermuda, or St. Agustine). Then I plan to lay the seed evenly, add a starter fertilizer, lightly tamp seeds with backside of leaf rake, and water. I dont plan on using a mulch or straw for errosion control since im flat. Does anyone have any tips or useful experiences they could share?
Your plan sounds similar to what I did when I bought my house new many years ago. The front was sodded by the builder but the back yard was just weeds. After doing pretty much the same thing as you are planning, the grass sprouted nicely and I watered it religiously until it was established. After a year my neighbor said that my grass "looked like a country club", so I guess I did everything right, or it was just plain luck.

I recently had part of that backyard turn to mostly weeds, and had to till it up, rake out the vegetation, and then install new sod. Looks great once again and the sod was only about $100 for this project. It was a lot of work but well worth the effort.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 832

I don't know about St. Augustine grass but Bermuda grass is very difficult to grow from seed. It has a very long germination time. If you do decide to seed Bermuda I would suggest mixing in some ryegrass with it. The ryegrass will come up very quickly but they Bermuda will choke it out and it takes hold. Having the ryegrass up early will help prevent weeds getting a start as well as helping conserve moisture in the ground.

I'm not quite sure why you don't plan on using some kind of a mulch over the seeds to help keep them moist. Helping to hold moisture in the soil is probably the biggest reason you use straw or some other kind of mulch when seeding a lawn, erosion control is just secondary.
bob22 likes this.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,378

Aren't there water restrictions in S Cal?
Grass takes a lot of water to get started and keep alive until well established. I'd wait until Sept but maybe your climate is different than I imagine.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,364

It depends on how close to the ocean they are. I've had no problem making a lawn in Orange county, pretty much all year.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 202

I'm in MI and don't know a lot about southern CA, except that our climates are significantly different, but otherwise agree with the last two posts. Typically this time of year is not the best to start grass, but maybe your seasons are close enough to the same that it doesn't make much difference. Regardless of that though, I would want to straw it. Erosion control is only a part of it's benefit. The bigger parts in my mind are that it holds moisture, shades it from the heat of the sun, helps keep birds out of the seed, and provides a natural nutrient as it breaks down. And it's low maintenance because you just let the mower chop it up when the grass reaches that point.
bob22 likes this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Aren't there water restrictions in S Cal?
A lot of S Cal just paid lip service to water restrictions, while other parts of the state went brown. A lot of people down there don't realize that their water is imported. They think it comes from their lakes, which are man made and the water is pumped into them from other areas.

The single largest consumer of electricity in California is the Edmonston pumping plant. It pumps N Cal water over the mountains that are south of Bakersfield.

They really should be using drought resistant landscaping or artificial turf.

But on the other hand, it doesn't surprise me that they are replanting lawns this soon. They have done it repeatedly after every drought.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement