Seeding A Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 184

Seeding A Lawn

We have an area about 75x30 we want to seed a lawn into. I'm at a complete loss as to best way to actually spread the seed. I'v seen many DIY lawn seeding jobs and most were terrible wih lousy coverage. There are dozens of seeders on the market and they are advertised as great.

Question: Anyone with real experience direct me to the best method/piece of equipment for spreading the seed. thanks.
Splais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
HDS

Rewards Points: 318

I haven't used one, but a seed slicer that burys the seed under the soil seems to be a very good option. This is something you'd rent.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 102

I tried the Scott's hand-held spreader and it did not work well at all.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #4

never heard of it, but after reading it looks like a seed slicer is the way to go.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,548

Where are you located? Its getting a little late in the season for planting grass. Young grass doesn't like the hot, dry temps that July and August brings ( actually, established grass doesn't like it either, but it tolerates it a little better). You might want to look at sod. Instant lawn. You still have to water a new sodded lawn regularly, but it has a good head start. Seed grown lawn will look bad this year, and not great next year.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,997

I grew up on the farm and the best spreader is attached to the end of your arm. Sow lightly in one direction and then again perpendicular to the first pass. A light tamping and light watering will work the seed in as deep as it needs to go.

Early Fall is the best time to seed.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 474

Your area is not that big so that is the best way that I have found for home owners (I have grown in golf courses in the past). Get some good soil on the ground if you can afford it, if not we can still get you that nice lawn that you want.Next find some fertilizer just make sure that the middle number is higher than the rest at this point.Work up the ground as best as you can.Now by the best seed that you can afford and MAKE sure that it is not old.For every year you lose a good 10 to 20%.Also the cheaper the seed that more weed seed is in the mix.If you want, just spread by hand or a cheap hand spreader.Next put down some fertilizer and work it all into the soil.Put a good layer of straw on top and keep the whole thing nice and moist until it is a good three inches and start mowing and keep at it, this will thicken up the grass.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,724

What Colbyt said ! You didn't state your location , but iv you're planting bluegrass/vescue mix , Sept 1 is usually the optimal planting date . A week earlier iv rain is predicted ! Hot climate grasses (in "The South") probably would have other requirements .

I would recommend buying maybe 4 bags composted manure . Spread it thinly & work in w/rake .

I usually work the seed in lightly w/rake avter sowing .

Keep soil moist (not saturated) vor 3 weeks & you should have a beautivul lawn next spring !

*Sorry , my "ev" key is jammed .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

You've probably heard lots of guidance from your others who live nearby. They probably say that beginning a new lawn is effort best remaining to experts. Or you should chew the topic and pay for sod. The truth is, you can reduce costs and be effective beginning a new garden from seeds. You just need a little planning, quality lawn seeds perfect for your increasing circumstances, well-prepared ground, and a little tolerance.
HudsonLangwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 284

I'd avoid buying any product that lists rye-grass as the main variety. I've had good results with fescues. Then again, it's all about location, location, location. Research cool and warm season grasses and find one that meets yours needs. If you're in between and/or in a coastal region, check out paspalum. It's just swell
JustScrewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 744

Don't use the small and cheap hand spreaders!
harpua728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

other than throwing it by hand or renting a sleed slicer - what other options are there
Old 07-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #13

I had a friend who ran a landscape business part-time . HE used a fertilizer spreader (the 2 wheeled push-type w/the drum-type hopper ). He would sow the area very lightly then re-sow the area perpendicular to the first sowing . It was very effective .

Not trying to convey attitude here , but I am unaware of any , say GPS , computer controlled spreader that will guarantee one seed applied to each sq. 1/4" of soil .

Spreading the seed in a relatively uniform manner is only one of five things to do if you want good results :

1. Soil prep (raking off debris & leveling area).

2. Working in a modest amount of fertilizer .

3 . Regulating soil moisture to insure germination & plant thriving .

4 . Spreading seed in a relatively uniform application .

5 . Starting process at the right time of year .

RIGHT NOW , IIW you , I would be prepping the area . If area needs leveling and or tilling , this would be the time . Would also consider adding fertilizer (composted manure). It would be good to to then wait a week & hit the area w/a Round-up type weed killer . Repeat after 2 weeks . Then , last week of August , plant seed .*

*All this is assuming you are planting Northern type grass seed . Respectfully , you still haven't given us your location .
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Sorry, Boynton Beach Florida
Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #15

Not , sure on timing OR type of "grass" would be best down there . FL (& the Deep South) is a whole other ballgame........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement