Seed/lime Interaction - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Seed/lime interaction

Yet again, I start off spring hoping to correct bare patches on the lawn, among other things. Plus, property is perhaps 80% under the shade of the five mature oak trees, so lots of shade PLUS moss from Ph issue. So, bought plenty of pelletized lime and a large bag of seed (duh, this time, got a "shade mix" from Rebel).

The bags for each clearly indicate the application of each -- by themselves. Wondering, however, if I should lime first and then seed (and, if so, how long to wait in between), or seed first then lime (and, if so, how long to wait in between.

Data points: Mid-atlantic location, plenty of hard clay soil (meaning somewhere in this process it's time to core-aerate yet again). Preferred feed is my wife putting down the mix called "green-up tonic" from Baker's Green Grass Magic (liq grass food, beer, ammonia, corn syrup, other stuff) which does seem to help.
tiger1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 50

In a hard clay soil I would lime first and water it in and wait a while before seeding. Clay makes pH adjustments very slow so you probably won't start seeing grass able to thrive for months or longer most likely. I have sour soil (5.6) as well and have limed the yard already just in preparation of seeding this fall.
troyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyks View Post
In a hard clay soil I would lime first and water it in and wait a while before seeding.
OK. I put down the lime (probably not enough, 280LB for 1/2-acre, probably a second application later needed) and snow promptly fell over it.
tiger1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement