Seed Or Give It Time? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Seed or give it time?

My front yard has several areas like the ones in the pictures below where it is somewhat patchy. From the street/a distance my yard is pretty nice looking minus the dandelions (didn't get my pre-emergent down early enough this year thanks to cold and snow). I am wondering if I just keep up with feeding and weed control if the spots will fill in naturally or if I have to plant new grass?

Thanks,
Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Seed or give it time?-image-3179802057.jpg   Seed or give it time?-image-2460887797.jpg  
chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Kinda hard to tell but it looks like you may have a thatch problem. Have you de-thatched at all lately?
Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huck2013 For This Useful Post:
chefKev (05-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefKev View Post
I am wondering if I just keep up with feeding and weed control
if the spots will fill in naturally or if I have to plant new grass?
Rake out the thatch, add some good top soil, over-seed and keep it moist.

Pretty soon though it'll be too hot in most places to do much more than PLAN.
Do that. Plan for what you'll do after Labor Day.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
chefKev (05-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck2013
Kinda hard to tell but it looks like you may have a thatch problem. Have you de-thatched at all lately?
No...I mow and apply the seasonally appropriate scots product and when my neighbor aerates he does my lawn too. I'm guessing thatching has something to do with dead grass? I'm pretty green when it comes to lawn care...sorry for the terrible pun I couldn't resist.

-Kev
chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefKev View Post
No...I mow and apply the seasonally appropriate scots product and when my neighbor aerates he does my lawn too. I'm guessing thatching has something to do with dead grass? I'm pretty green when it comes to lawn care...sorry for the terrible pun I couldn't resist.

-Kev
I appreciate the pun. It's just that the picture looks like you have a layer of dead grass on the soil which may actually be shading out any new growth.

Things like this are often a 'trial and error' sollution. As mentioned previously, rake out the thatch and top dress with seed and see what happens. If that doesn't work....try something new.

The good thing is that you're at least putting an effort into your lawn; which I can't say for some of my dandy-lion loving neighbours.

Last edited by Huck2013; 05-14-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree it looks like you have some thatch build up. You should have companies by the hundreds hang tagging your door about now to detatch and aerate your lawn? Aeration would be a good idea also.

I think from what I see the lawn will fill in if you feed it. It sounds like you started addressing weeds either with a pre-emergent or post-emergent weed-n-feed product? If so, it is unlikely you will get much seed to sprout---especially if you laid down a pre-emergent---so best to wait now for overseeding until fall.

By the way, you might want to update your profile so we know where you are in general terms.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
chefKev (05-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement