Sealing Redwood Fence To Retain The "new" Look - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 640

Sealing redwood fence to retain the "new" look

I just had about 200 ft of redwood fence put up. I'm in N. California and they're shared between neighbors. Have a couple questions,

1. I'd like to add a sealant to the fence to protect it from graying. What do you recommend using? I see some new fence put up and has a light sheen to it with the color somewhat enhanced but not too particularly red. Not sure if by sealing the wood is enough to bring out the color a little. I hate to stain it then years down the road having to reapply the stain and not buying the correct one.

2. Since I can only apply the sealant for my sides, I can't force the neighbor to do it for theirs, would it be a wasted effort if only one side of the fence is sealed?

3. After I seal it, how long should I expect it to last before a new coat is required? Should it be as simple as a quick pressure wash to get rid of dirt and spray new coat over?
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 164

Re: Sealing redwood fence to retain the "new" look

I truly think it's a waste if you can't seal the other side. You'll probably be sealing it every year or even twice a year... did you split the cost of the fence with your neighbor? If so you should talk to him/her and tell her about the importance of sealing the wood. Water will penetrate and start to mold/rot and even if you did seal it every year what is the use if mold starts to seep in from the other side? I would recommend oil base it's messy but since it's on a lawn/ground you shouldn't worry about drippings and oil base will penetrate more into the wood and won't be needing to seal it as often.
handycandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement