Screening All Wet Under Patio Stones - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Screening all wet under patio stones

I'm having my 2x2 patio stones levelled again. When the guy removed the stones, it was all wet and the screening was mixed with earth so I'm assuming it couldn't drain properly or wasn't tamped down properly. Could someone please confirm what size stone should be used and the proper order of doing things. Thank you.
Gbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Re: Screening all wet under patio stones

Gbunny100 -

For a patio stone application, the top soil and organics must be removed. Next a fabric filter blanket should followed by your compacted base and a 1" setting bed of sand screeded level. Set the patio stones on the sand bed, sprinkle fine sand over the patio surface and vibrated with a plate compactor to even up the surface and get sand into the tight joints to add strength and stability.

If your land is "dead-flat" digging out any soil will create a hole to collect water if the soil below is impermeable and there is no way out.

Your location and soil type may have a bearing on the details.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (06-25-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

Re: Screening all wet under patio stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbunny100 View Post
I'm having my 2x2 patio stones levelled again. When the guy removed the stones, it was all wet and the screening was mixed with earth so I'm assuming it couldn't drain properly or wasn't tamped down properly. Could someone please confirm what size stone should be used and the proper order of doing things. Thank you.
If there's dirt mixed in with the base course, that's more than likely the problem, the entire patio should be excavated to a depth of at least 8 inches, and replaced with crusher run stone compacted in at least two lifts, with one inch of sand on top of that for your setting base.

3/4" to dust crusher run would be ideal for what your doing, here's a link.

http://www.braenstone.com/2014/12/crusher-run-uses/
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (06-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement