Rock Barrier Around The Foundation For Bugs And Such - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Question

Rock Barrier Around the Foundation for Bugs and Such

I back on a wild hillside. My yard is a wreck from previous owner's neglect. I intend to plow the whole thing under and start from scratch in a few years. In the mean time, I need to keep the critters and bugs from invading the house.

I have a concrete patio (badly) poured in uneven sections with gaps that channel insects right to my back door. The roof is metal and drips inviting moisture all along the perimeter every night for the moisture-lovers. Additonally, the afternoon sun warms the side of the house and it stays a huge inviting infrared heat source well into the night. After dark, the wall will be covered with the flavor of the month of creepy crawlies. I have some decorative planting boxes along the garage and front of the house. The rest of the foundation is abutted by bare dirt with weeds/grass/leaves when not cleared.

The main entry point for bugs seems to be the bathroom window (above roof drip line and sewer cleanout) and the kitchen window and sliding glass door. (over patio which is dripped on nightly.)

I intend to install a gutter to stop the drips. I plan to dig out the planter boxes and replace the dirt inside with rock and potted plants, rather than just a giant mess of dirt and mulch (what it is now).

I also want to dig and fill a rock or rubber mulch barrier around the foundation and patio where it is currently just dirt, grass, and weeds. Has anyone done this? What are some resources I can use to learn how to build this barrier properly? I need to know:
- how deep to dig it
- how wide it should be (how many feet out from the foundation)
- whether, and with what to line the bottom
- what sort of fill material (pea gravel, gravel, rubber mulch, etc).
- what, if any, chemicals I can or should treat it with to deter pests, weeds, lichen, etc.

Opinions and suggestions much appreciated!
wac_432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement