Riding Mower - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Edw

Rewards Points: 38

Riding Mower

Hello Folks. I am hoping someone can help with this problem. My riding mower runs O.K with choke (throttle) in almost full open and almost full closed positions but stalls out when choke (throttle) is in the normal position for operation. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks to all.
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 202

Re: Riding Mower

Some details might help, such as make, model, age, etc., but, as far as I know, most mowers want to be run at or near full throttle when mowing. But, if it's not running properly at the manufacturer's recommended setting, and speaking in very general terms, it sounds like the fuel system is the most likely culprit. Start with a thorough carburetor cleaning, as in remove, disassemble, clean, reassemble, reinstall, and see how that work. Unless the fuel is brand new, I would also drain the tank and replace it with fresh. Try to find non-ethanol fuel for it.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,998

If you cannot find ethanol free fuel. Try mixing 91+ octane fuel with some Sta-Bil 360 Performance. I recently started running this in my 22-year-old MTD with B&G engine and there is a noticable improvement.

A 10oz bottle at Lowe's is less than $8 and at 1oz per 5 gallons of gas should last a good while (unless you have a lawn the size of a soccer field).
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
O.K with choke (throttle) in almost full open and almost full closed positions but stalls out when choke (throttle) is in the normal position for operation.
Ayuh,... The choke ain't the throttle anymore than the throttle is the choke,....

If ya mean it won't run without the choke On, or partly On, it's plugged up passages in the carb, not allowin' gas flow through it's normal circuits,....
The choke causes a richer condition through other circuits,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

I agree with Bondo, the passages are clogged in the carb. I had the same problem with my hedge trimmer, it would run in half choke, but stall out when choke is off. I replaced carb and it runs well now.
G-Man8206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement